Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We adopted a shelter dog a little over a month ago. He is a 3 year old Pit Mix named Moose. They don't know much about his past, he was found as a stray. He was in the shelter from Feb until June (when we got him). He is truly a sweet dog but he doesn't appear to be house broken. We were originally going the crate training route but he has gotten out of three crates. A wire crate, a mesh crate and a plastic crate carrier (looks like a big cat carrier). He hurt his mouth the last time he escaped the crate so we have let him roam free while we are at work and I will come and let him out at lunch time. There has been a couple of times he has done really good and not messed in the house or messed with anything. (He likes to move things around except he did eat 6 hamburger buns Friday and that is the first time he has ever ate anything he has ever moved and he moves food quite often and I do put it up). It's always the same room he goes potty in and I have cleaned it and shampooed it. The cat box is in that room but there really is no other place to put it that he wouldn't be able to get it. I have tried to gate off going upstairs but he tore down the baby gate and I bet if I tried to keep him in the kitchen, he would probably do the same. I cannot leave him outside in a kennel either. He gets lots of praise and a treat (as soon as he is done, I carry them in my pocket) when he goes potty outside.

Any advice, suggestions, tips or tricks is appreciated.

Sorry if this is long but I was trying ot provide enough information.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
First of all, good on you for giving the dog another chance. I love pittie anything personally.

You don't mention exercise routines. Can you detail some of what you do day to day?

These are rather high energy dogs, and a simple walk generally isn't good enough. Let them run off the excess is generally a good idea, some do it on a bike, others roller blades.

And what food is your dog eating?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
As is the case with any high energy dog, you have to find a way to tire him out. If you don't when he is alone, he will get bored, and a bored high energy dog will look for ways to entertain himself, and believe me you will not approve of any of his self entertainment ideas. As far as house training, you have to actually catch them in the act, and immediately take them outside, otherwise they have no clue what you are trying to get them to do. What worked for us, with Samantha, was taking her outside every 30 minutes, and every time she did her business she got treats. Didn't take her long to figure out that peeing or pooping outside was her key to our pantry. Of course we are retired, so we were with her during the day, which I know expedited the process. She was completely trained in about 3 weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts