Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna is my 13 week old puppy. We got her 4 days ago, and she has already been peeing and pooping in our house and peeing in her crate.
When she is squatting to pee, I say "Luna, NO!" And scoop her up and place her outside. As soon as she is outside all she'll do is sniff (which I get all excited about) and then she'll lay down, and almost go to sleep.
This happens every time. I mean, it NEVER changes. Is is basically a routine. We've taken her out around 8 times a day when she is squatting indoors and nope, she just decides to rest outside.
Another this is, when I say, "Luna, NO!" She'll just wag her tale and get all excited.
We've been saying, "Hurry up!" When she actually goes outside.
And when we put her in her crate for the night, she'll just howl and scream like something is brutally attacking her.
No matter how many times I tell my dad to stop yelling, "Do you know how annoying that is?" he won't listen. I've had to explain why it is so bad that you come to her when she is screaming like that.
Also, she pee's A LOT in her crate. Luna has a dog bed and yesterday we cleaned it completely (she wasn't watching) and then the next morning I spotted yellow spots all over the place!
We've tried a schedule and we've printed out papers for housetraining tips and nothing has changed.
It is REALLY frustrating!
Please help with some tips, what I'm doing wrong, etc.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Luna is my 13 week old puppy. We got her 4 days ago, and she has already been peeing and pooping in our house and peeing in her crate.
When she is squatting to pee, I say "Luna, NO!" And scoop her up and place her outside. As soon as she is outside all she'll do is sniff (which I get all excited about) and then she'll lay down, and almost go to sleep.
This happens every time. I mean, it NEVER changes. Is is basically a routine. We've taken her out around 8 times a day when she is squatting indoors and nope, she just decides to rest outside.
Another this is, when I say, "Luna, NO!" She'll just wag her tale and get all excited.
We've been saying, "Hurry up!" When she actually goes outside.
And when we put her in her crate for the night, she'll just howl and scream like something is brutally attacking her.
No matter how many times I tell my dad to stop yelling, "Do you know how annoying that is?" he won't listen. I've had to explain why it is so bad that you come to her when she is screaming like that.
Also, she pee's A LOT in her crate. Luna has a dog bed and yesterday we cleaned it completely (she wasn't watching) and then the next morning I spotted yellow spots all over the place!
We've tried a schedule and we've printed out papers for housetraining tips and nothing has changed.
It is REALLY frustrating!
Please help with some tips, what I'm doing wrong, etc.
Thanks.
Personally I would not say her name and then say no...she will associate "no" everytime her name is said thus making her name a negative thing, also you say "no" on a regular basis when speaking to friends, family, etc. so pick a less often used word, I use "uh uh".

She is still young and potty training takes time. Have you considered using puppy pads? My pit bull puppy (11 weeks) took to the puppy pads immediately. Puppies are like children..they control their bladders better with age and when they gotta go, they gotta go. She has probably already released her bladder by time you pick her up.

Definitely keep praising her outside when she does go.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
couple tips

Don't get angry at her when she goes inside. Shes an infant still and new to your home, she doesn't know any better. Also if by chance she makes the association that peeing makes you mad, she will simply hide and pee som'where else.

8 times a day is not enough. I would take her out every half hour at least. Since she's having so much trouble, every fifteen minutes wouldn't hurt.

what have you done to get her accustomed to her crate? Most dogs need to be aclimated to it, so you can't just stick them in it and cross your fingers.

I would feed her in her crate from now on. Also play games where you throw treats into the crate for her to get. After shes used to that start closing the door for ONE second. Do that a while...then a second and a half...do that a while...do you get where im going with this?lol

If shes going to pee in her crate, its perhaps better to use a room or an xpen so she can pee on puppy pads instead. If she continues to pee in her crate it will ruin her den instinct and she will likely always pee in it.

Also have you ruled out a urinary tract infection?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She will hop in her crate, play around with her toys in it, and sleep. The second she gets calm, I close the door and wait. She settles down and I slowly leave, and she started whining.

I do take her out every 10/15 minutes and she just lies down. I tried to observe her actions before she goes, and it is totally random each time. She could be walking and then just go.

If I could, I'd wake up every hour of the night to let her relieve herself, but I can't.
If you wanna know, I put her to sleep in her crate at 10:00 PM and wake her at 6:00 AM

And for the xpen, we've tried it but she just hops over it! She almost hangs herself. She'll literally throw herself at the walls, go to the back and run hard and jump it.
It scrapes her belly, and hurts her legs.

We'll try a taller one but god knows what she'll do with it then.

I just wish that she could bark a certain way when she has to go; life would be so much easier.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
She will hop in her crate, play around with her toys in it, and sleep. The second she gets calm, I close the door and wait. She settles down and I slowly leave, and she started whining.

Your doing it right, but going too fast. Remeber what I said about the one second, then two second thing...

If shes whining when you walk away, walk one step fewer than it takes her to whine...say "GOOD!" and then go back and open the door.

You have to practice on your day off, where you can repeat it 20 times or more.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts