Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just acquired a Great Pyrenees about two years old. She's always been an outdoor dog. In the first two days she's gone in the house and in my shop, so obviously it's time for some training. Is there any difference between training procedures for a puppy and for a two-year-old? Do the breed or size make any difference, other than the size of the mess?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Should be similar to a puppy, I'd expect it to take a while though. Lots of treats and excitement about peeing outside.

She's gorgeous!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Define outdoor dog? Was she living in a back yard or did she have full run of a farm? Pyrenees were bred for being outdoors, protecting livestock.

Like the old Newfoundland adage goes, you can take the man out of the bay, but you can't take the bay out of the man.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Dogs tend to learn fast from other dogs, so don't count out bringing someone elses' dog over to help out. I've used our pup as a training tool for other dogs, old and young, some things are better taught by another dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Define outdoor dog? Was she living in a back yard..."

I didn't see the place, but from what the woman said she was in a kennel or a fenced yard. With everybody gone all day they didn't like her being alone so much, and thought she should be where she'd have some company. I'm an old retired guy, home a lot, so I'm company.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to transition her into the house if it was just a back yard. If she was the typical Pyr, doing what a Pyr does, then you may have issues.

If you know someone that has a good dog that asks to go out to pee, I would look at borrowing it for a day or two. A mentor dog really helps. Otherwise, get her outside on a schedule and let her do her thing, maybe change up meal times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts