Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July, my family and I adopted an orphaned puppy who’s mom had been hit by a car. His name is Rudy, and he’s a now six month old Texas Heeler (Australian Shepherd/Red Heeler). He’s a very smart pup, as both of his parents are two of the smartest breeds of dogs out there. He figured out the whole house training thing fairly quickly, although it was a struggle in the beginning. For months now, he’s been going outside to use the bathroom and even lets us know he needs to go out by ringing a bell that’s attached to the doorknob of our front door. He’s had no accidents since then, until recently. He’s been peeing and pooping in the house at least once a day, but his schedule hasn’t changed at all! He usually rings the bell when he needs to go, and he hasn’t been doing that! Just squats and goes. It’s becoming really frustrating for my family. Today, he peed in the floor three separate times! Not even a warning! Please help!
-Maggie

·
Registered
181 Posts
Firstly I would suggest a check up with a vet, to rule out any health issues that may be contributing to his mistakes. Suddenly stopping and peeing can be an indication of a urinary tract infection.

Assuming all is well, I would suggest going back to basics - taking him out regularly and rewarding him - throw a party- for doing his business in the right place.

Yes, it is a bit frustrating when a puppy makes mistakes, but, try to be patient, and understand that he is not doing it to upset anyone, just stay calm and focus on helping him get back on track.

·
Super Moderator
3,725 Posts
I agree, it is actually not uncommon for puppies to regress around this age. It's often because we take our eye off the ball, assuming they will let us know, and we miss the more subtle signals. So definitely take back the initiative and be proactive - take him, rather than wait for him to tell you.

I would add that some people find bells are not as great a tool as they thought - they teach the puppy to ask to be let out, as opposed to let out to toilet - you become your dog's personal doorman.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts