Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 4 rescues that are all house trained and use a doggy door.

I noticed one of the dogs was peeing in the house back in February. I could never catch one in the act but I suspected it might be my oldest dog, Scruffy (he is 6 and he seems to have the most behavioral issues), so I took him to the vet to get checked out.
Scruffy had a urinary tract infection and crystals in his urine. It is all cleared up now but he is still peeing in the house 6 months later! I have cleaned and cleaned but it will not stop! I assume it is him but I cannot catch him in the act. It could be another dog, but I kennel him only when I leave and there is no urine when I get home.
I was out of town last week and all of my dogs stayed with my parents, and no one peed in her house.

How do I correct the behavior if I don't see him do it?

Does anyone have any experience with this???
My husband says we should try diapers but he is a very energetic dog and I think he would just chew it off.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Hali

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If you're sure his health issues are cleared up, clean the soiled area(s) with a product designed for pet / urine odors (Nature's Miracle is popular), and go back to potty training basics:

- supervise and/or confine
- regular trips outside
- reinforce (with the best treats ever) for eliminating outside

More details here: House Training How Tos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
I use Nature's Miracle for cleaning up the urine.
I think I might take him in for another check up just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if my reply went through the first time.

Thank you for your help!

I have been cleaning with Nature's Miracle.
I think I might make another trip to the vet just to be sure it isn't a medical issue before I go back to the basics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts