Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering getting a dog and have thought everything through, however I currently live with my parents (I'm 22) and although having a dog here while I live at home would be fine, they keep going on about the fact that when I move away in a year (possibly 18 months) I am going to be looking for a house share and that will obviously be more difficult with a dog. There's no chance I'd leave it here (they wouldn't let me and I wouldn't be irresponsible enough to get a dog if I wasn't committed to finding somewhere that it could live) and I would not even be thinking of getting a dog if there was a possibility that I'd have to rehome it/put it in a shelter.

That said, I want to be sure that I will find a place that will allow dogs. I'm in the UK, I've been looking at various sites (e.g. spareroom.com) to see if there are any dog friendly house shares and have seen a few, some are lodging with a family/older house owners, some are in shares with young people which is what I'd prefer as obviously I do want to meet new people when I move away.

So I'm pretty sure that I'll find somewhere. No, it might not be the house of my dreams and although I do like a nice house and nice interiors, I'm pretty good at making the best of what I've got in terms of decorating my own room to make it homely, and I think having a dog is a whole lot more important and rewarding and generally great than having an aesthetically pleasing house....

I know I kinda just answered my own question but I sort of want ways to convince my parents that I will be able to find somewhere. Advice would be great!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would suggest first researching housing in your area where you think you might be able to move in a year or two. See how many (and in what price range) allow dogs, and what sort of restrictions are there.

I think that if you see some that allow dogs, I would probably try to choose a dog that's small and low energy. Also, a dog that doesn't bark a lot would be best.

If you're open to it and you'll only be living at home another year or two perhaps you'd be willing to adopt a senior dog that will only live that long. And if you really can't have a dog for that long, perhaps look into fostering dogs for a rescue organization. That gives you all the fun of having a dog but no long term commitment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my experience (personal and second hand) the easiest ways to do house shares with a dog are:

1. Renting a multi-room apartment yourself then finding a sub-letter(s)

2. Knowing the people who you'll be moving in with (and more importantly, them knowing and liking your dog)

Option 1 is obviously more expensive and hire risk as you have to pay everything upfront and the burden falls on you for finding roommates. However since the apartment is the dog's home first and you're finding people willing to move in with you and the dog, it generally results in a lower conflict living situation.

Option 2 is ideal but obviously difficult if you are moving to a new area where you don't have the necessary social network.

The more difficult option is moving in to an established house and bringing the dog. Typically it's easier to finagle if you target smaller houses (number of people wise) as you need to get fewer people on board with the idea. I have had success finding house-shares with a dog when there are only 1 or 2 other people living there...larger houses are harder to get the other roomies on board.

Finally the type of dog you have makes a big difference. A small breed is going to be more widely accepted then a large breed. The maintenance and behavior of the dog is going to be a big difference (high shedding vs low shedding; lots of barking vs quiet; high energy vs couch potato).

The best thing you can do is get a dog soon and train it to the point that it's very well mannered. If you're going for a puppy, you want it to be as old and established as possible before moving into a new house. If you're looking at a shelter/rescue dog make sure to look for on that is easy coat maintenance, low-mid energy, small-medium sized, and friendly with people, dogs, and cats. (basically...what everybody else is looking for too :rolleyes:)

Deal breakers would be: barks a lot, high shedding, aggression as these are hard to fix (and esp you want a dog-friendly dog in case you go into a house with another dog already...or at least it's an option)

workables would be: higher energy (if you *actually* have the time and interest and access to parks/forests/etc to properly handle it); low knowledge (i.e. doesn't understand obedience stuff...easy to fix); poor leash manners (trainable); shy (trainable...but stay away from fearful...there's a difference between shy & running away and fearful & biting/snapping).

I'd look for a more submissive dog as that makes the hierarchy jostlings in new places smoother typically.

Hope that helps!! It's definitely do-able, but you need to have plan going forward and be picky about the *right* dog. Puppy is probably easier to mold to your liking if you have the time (and choose the right breed), but getting a 1-2 year old shelter dog will allow you to see more of the personality and the training-gaps from the get-go! Also make sure you have funds set aside for professional training so training gaps can be addressed appropriately.

ETA: also in competitive housing markets, be prepared to offer up a higher security deposit to cover the risk of having a dog in the house AND be willing to offer to pay a rent premium (i.e. the room is only 100 GBP a week but you'll offer to pay 130 GBP so the other roomies can deduct some money from their rent). This is especially useful in competitive markets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts