Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, I'm sure this topic's been discussed ad nauseam but I need some advice. I have a 15 week old border collie that we brought home almost three weeks ago. She's probably the fifth or sixth puppy that I've ever owned, but it's been a while since I've had a pup so I'm a little out of practice. We have another adult dog, 3 years, that we trained to ring a bell on the door to go out. Our puppy seems to have watched him and figured it out on her own, but even after taking her out she'll come in and ten minutes later she'll relieve herself in the house. I follow her out and give affectionate, enthusiastic praise followed by a treat when she goes outside. When she does go, it's full on (as in big dog size waste and urine). She's not just tinkling to get a treat - LOL. When she comes back in and does it in the house, it's a repeat - full size and typically urine AND feces. If I'm able to catch her in the act, I'll scream NO! and run her outside, but she's started this new thing where she trots off and relieves herself in spots that we find later and many times it's on objects that have fallen to the floor - ie a sleeping bag that my daughter hadn't yet put away the other night. My wife wants to do puppy pads, but it seems that I've heard in the past that those create the wrong message. We are crating her at night, and during the day when we're at work. My wife comes home on her lunch to let her out, so she's in the crate for about 3 hours in the morning and another couple of hours in the afternoon. When we take her out of the crate, we carry her directly outside so she can do her business. Any suggestions? My carpeting thanks you :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sorry, I'm sure this topic's been discussed ad nauseam but I need some advice. I have a 15 week old border collie that we brought home almost three weeks ago. She's probably the fifth or sixth puppy that I've ever owned, but it's been a while since I've had a pup so I'm a little out of practice. We have another adult dog, 3 years, that we trained to ring a bell on the door to go out. Our puppy seems to have watched him and figured it out on her own, but even after taking her out she'll come in and ten minutes later she'll relieve herself in the house. I follow her out and give affectionate, enthusiastic praise followed by a treat when she goes outside. When she does go, it's full on (as in big dog size waste and urine). She's not just tinkling to get a treat - LOL. When she comes back in and does it in the house, it's a repeat - full size and typically urine AND feces. If I'm able to catch her in the act, I'll scream NO! and run her outside, but she's started this new thing where she trots off and relieves herself in spots that we find later and many times it's on objects that have fallen to the floor - ie a sleeping bag that my daughter hadn't yet put away the other night. My wife wants to do puppy pads, but it seems that I've heard in the past that those create the wrong message. We are crating her at night, and during the day when we're at work. My wife comes home on her lunch to let her out, so she's in the crate for about 3 hours in the morning and another couple of hours in the afternoon. When we take her out of the crate, we carry her directly outside so she can do her business. Any suggestions? My carpeting thanks you :D
Because you're shouting at her, she learns that potty in front of human is scary. Not that in the house is bad. Stop yelling. That's why you're finding surprises upstairs. And she shouldnt be allowed to roam free AT ALL. Supervised or crated 100% of the time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Our puppy seems to have watched him and figured it out on her own, but even after taking her out she'll come in and ten minutes later she'll relieve herself in the house. I follow her out and give affectionate, enthusiastic praise followed by a treat when she goes outside.
This is perfect. :)

When she comes back in and does it in the house, it's a repeat - full size and typically urine AND feces.
When does she relieve herself inside? Is it immediately after her outside delivery, or after some time?

This:
If I'm able to catch her in the act, I'll scream NO! and run her outside,
Has caused this:
but she's started this new thing where she trots off and relieves herself in spots that we find later and many times it's on objects that have fallen to the floor -
She's learned that you don't like to see her business, so she's doing her best to hide it from you. She may start to avoid going outside, too, since that's 'in front of you', and you might yell at her. Best thing to do if you catch her in the act is to pick her up, without any fanfare, and take her outside. If she finishes outside, praise/treat. If you find it after the fact, then just clean it up.

My wife comes home on her lunch to let her out, so she's in the crate for about 3 hours in the morning and another couple of hours in the afternoon. When we take her out of the crate, we carry her directly outside so she can do her business. Any suggestions? My carpeting thanks you :D
What exactly is her schedule for going outside? Do you always rely on her to tell you, except for the lunchtime and after work outtings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the replies.

Dia - she will relieve herself a second time usually within twenty minutes or so. We take her straight from crate to backyard when we get home. Many times she 'tells us' that she has to go by farting. Seriously. In the meantime, I just keep an eye on her and take her out when I see her start sniffing around or when she rings the bell.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thanks all for the replies.

Dia - she will relieve herself a second time usually within twenty minutes or so. We take her straight from crate to backyard when we get home. Many times she 'tells us' that she has to go by farting. Seriously. In the meantime, I just keep an eye on her and take her out when I see her start sniffing around or when she rings the bell.
Since you can anticipate, you can prevent. Take her out as usual, then after about 10-15 minutes, take her out again, praise and treat. Of course, you're supervising the entire time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So, dogs do have different schedules; my dog has one dump in the morning and my boyfriend's dog has two or three. If Tara was offered treats after her first elimination, I could see that distracting her for 15 or 20 minutes - just long enough to get back inside and realize she has to go again. I think Cookie's suggestion is good. I'd also suggest that when she goes the first time, take a few extra minutes and play with her outside. The activity may encourage her to go the second time, outside, which you can reinforce.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you know she is going to go again 20 minutes after you come inside, keep her tethered to you on a leash until she goes again successfully and you're sure she's empty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts