Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have had my lab for 3 years and he has just developed his first hotspot close to his groin/stomach area. I'm at a loss for how to treat it because I can't wrap a bandage around his whole body - I technically could but I would probably come home to him having ripped it off. Does anyone have any advice for how to treat this/stop him from licking it??

Thank you all!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
As much as I don't like them, might have to wear an Elizabethan collar. Not a big fan of the big plastic ones, search google, lots of people have gotten creative with keeping their dog from licking.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've never heard of "hotspots," and had to look it up. I agree that the cone collar is the only way to prevent the dog from getting to it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
More often than not, a Vet can successfully treat a dog for hot spots. Your Vet can also eliminate or confirm the cause, which could be a localized infection, ringworm, or parasite bites. If he were mine, we would be making a trip to the Vets, just to be sure!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I use Vetricin when we get those, and they start to dry up and heal within a day. Watch them for a little bit to he sure they leave it alone while it dries. Once it dries, they are soothed and leave it alone. Just re apply daily or a couple of times a day if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts