Dog Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
I currently have 40 acres, yes. As I said though, I grew up with the average sized back yard in the suburbs and our dogs were always left outside when we weren't home. Never had any issues my entire life with all the dogs we had. A good fence is all I'm saying....

Also, the dangers in the country are a lot different than the city but not in a good way. How many city folks have to worry about cougars? How many know for a fact that if their dog was running loose it would be shot. This is livestock country, a loose dog is a dead dog.

FMM, Don't you live on like 30-40 acres?

That's kind of a huge difference in situations between what many of the posters on this forum have. What works for some, may not work for others. As you know, there are a lot of factors to consider what is best for one's dogs.... :)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I currently have 40 acres, yes. As I said though, I grew up with the average sized back yard in the suburbs and our dogs were always left outside when we weren't home. Never had any issues my entire life with all the dogs we had. A good fence is all I'm saying....

Also, the dangers in the country are a lot different than the city but not in a good way. How many city folks have to worry about cougars? How many know for a fact that if their dog was running loose it would be shot. This is livestock country, a loose dog is a dead dog.
I'm sure we're on the same page, no argument about the fence. (Really, no argument at all....) I know the country life presents a whole other set of risks for dogs... born and raised in a rural area. I don't think it was you, but one or two posters on this thread were pretty quick to judge the OP's situation--the factors comment was more for them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Lol, here in the country, you don't have to worry about your dog being stolen. Now, you may come home and find someone dropped a dog or two off at your place :/
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I do feel as though she's safer in the crate, but she does enjoy it outside, so I feel guilty leaving her locked in a box for 8-9 hours. Sometimes someone will come home and let her out, but people barely watch her, so she gets in to all sorts of stuff. She won't eat anything in the crate, because she spends a good bit of her time howling. I'll put a frozen kong in it, and she will ignore it. I can keep her a little busy with raw bones in the back yard, but I have to watch her while she eats them, so it kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, she realizes what I'm up to. She's a smart one, alright. It's not boredom, because I can put her out there for 20 minutes and she will see a squirrel and try to dig out to get it. She just has a high prey drive. But, if she's out there for a good long while, I get worried because in 20 minutes, if she can dig a good sized hole, 9 hours will be a piece of cake for her to get out. She has yet to, but I know she will eventually. She's a husky, after all
In the spring, I will be getting a samoyed or another husky puppy as a friend for her, because the other dog refuses to play with her. Huskies do a lot better when they have another dog to keep them busy anyway.
When I do get the hot wire, I'll still check the weather to make sure it's not too hot or to make sure it doesn't storm. She's going to be miserable in this south carolina heat, so might as well allow her to live it up while it's cool out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must ask, what is your suggestion exactly? To leave a dog in a kennel in a house for an average of 9 hours a day instead of leaving it outside in a safe, fenced area where it has interesting things to watch? Is that it?

I've 5 dogs outside right now unsupervised. I'm pretty much an animal abuser.
I work from 8-5 so yup, they're outside at least 9 hours. If we go out to eat after work they are outside even longer. I can't imagine how bad it would be for their joints to be kenneled M-F for that long their entire lives.
I can't believe people think dogs are better off locked up in a kennel for long hours each day!! That is animal cruelty! A hot wire to keep them in a contained area so that they can run and exercise is much more humane!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts