Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a male yellow lab named Duncan who is currently a year and 7 months. 4 days ago, I noticed that he had a small hot spot on his right arm pit area. He has not had any skin issues before. I called the vet when I noticed the spot and she said to keep it clean and dry and bring him in if it did not begin to clear up in a few days. I have been cleaning out the area with povidone iodine (diluted) twice a day, and it seems to be helping. He is not itching at the area and seems to be acting/eating normally. I was just curious if anyone here knew of any ways I can prevent hot spots in the future. I've heard that labs do not need to be bathed frequently, and so I only bath Duncan 2-3 times a year with a natural oatmeal dog wash. Should I bathe him more? Are there any supplements I can give him or foods I can add to his normal food? He is eating Taste of the Wild High Prairie Blend which is grain-free. I also have heard about adding a small amount of apple cider vinegar to the food or drinking water...has anyone ever tried this? I know that hot spots are common, so perhaps i should not be worrying if he has only had one so far. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What I know of labs is that they seem to have skin problems. TOTW is a good food but if allergies are present its hard to tell to what because TOTW has so many meats in all the formulas. I would recommend a food like Zignature or Go sensitive and shine because they are single protein foods. I would try a different food with one meat source in it for 3 months. Try a meat that your lab has not eaten. Maybe the turkey would be a good start.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
It's hard to say. The term "hot spot" is sort of an umbrella term that refers to ANY sort of skin irritation. It could be allergies, it could be bacterial or fungal infections, it could be a surface irritation that got out of control. This could be a one-time thing and he may not get another one. Or it could be the start of a new allergy.

Can you pinpoint anything that you've done differently that might have spurred it? Perhaps he wears a harness that has a chest strap right where the hot spot is? Or have you gone hiking recently and perhaps he caught a burr or foxtail that didn't come out right away? Have you bathed him recently? Perhaps you've even started using a new lotion or laundry detergent?

Does he have any other signs of allergies, like red/itchy ears, flakey skin, dark skin, red/inflammed skin on his belly, goopy eyes etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I know of labs is that they seem to have skin problems. TOTW is a good food but if allergies are present its hard to tell to what because TOTW has so many meats in all the formulas. I would recommend a food like Zignature or Go sensitive and shine because they are single protein foods. I would try a different food with one meat source in it for 3 months. Try a meat that your lab has not eaten. Maybe the turkey would be a good start.
He's been on this food for almost a year now and seems to be doing great on it. He was on Blue Buffalo Wilderness before, and it did not agree with him. Perhaps he developed an allergy to the meats in TOTW over time (bison and venison). I'll keep monitoring it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dog currently has some hot spots as well. There are several different things you can try:

-An antihistamine. Many hot spots are caused by allergies.

-You may also want to try a different shampoo. Maybe your dog is allergic to oatmeal.

-Aloe vera. My parents have aloe vera plants so I use it on my skin and my dogs' skin all the time.

-Aveeno eczema lotion. I would try this if you can be sure that your dog will not try to lick it off.

-Try adding more fats to your dogs diet. A lot of times bad skin in dogs and humans is caused by a diet that lacks healthy fats. Here are some foods and oils that are good for your dog: eggs, plain whole fat yogurt, olive oil (can be mixed into wet food), peanut butter, various types of meats (chicken, turkey, fish).

In my dog's case I think his hotspots are being caused by the shamoo I am using. He's a maltese and they have that pink skin that can get irritated really easily. I gave him an antihistamine to reduce the itching and licking and will be buying a different shampoo.
Thanks for the tips! This is his first hot spot so hopefully it does not becoming a recurring problem. I only shampoo him twice a year with the shampoo and he's never had issues with it...the last time I shampooed him was a few days after I noticed the hot spot as I wanted to make sure he was clean-then I shaved off the hair and used iodine thereafter to clean it.

Sometimes I add plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese to his food as a special treat but I usually add the non-fat kind...maybe I should try adding full-fat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to say. The term "hot spot" is sort of an umbrella term that refers to ANY sort of skin irritation. It could be allergies, it could be bacterial or fungal infections, it could be a surface irritation that got out of control. This could be a one-time thing and he may not get another one. Or it could be the start of a new allergy.

Can you pinpoint anything that you've done differently that might have spurred it? Perhaps he wears a harness that has a chest strap right where the hot spot is? Or have you gone hiking recently and perhaps he caught a burr or foxtail that didn't come out right away? Have you bathed him recently? Perhaps you've even started using a new lotion or laundry detergent?

Does he have any other signs of allergies, like red/itchy ears, flakey skin, dark skin, red/inflammed skin on his belly, goopy eyes etc?
Hopefully it is a one-time thing. It seems like hot spots/skin issues are common in labs from what I've learned.

I can't pin down anything different I've been doing, though he does wear a harness that likely comes in contact with the arm pit area (ez-walk)...though he has had that harness since he was very young. He doesn't have any other signs of allergies thankfully.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
I can't pin down anything different I've been doing, though he does wear a harness that likely comes in contact with the arm pit area (ez-walk)...though he has had that harness since he was very young. He doesn't have any other signs of allergies thankfully.
Harness was my first thought. I've never been able to get the ez-walk to fit my dog correctly, so finally replaced it. It would never stay adjusted and even when just adjusted it wasn't right. Any pics of him in it recently? If it is the harness rubbing, you could look into other harnesses or maybe get a fleece/sheepskin cover for that strap.

Reactions: fawkese1

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
as stated, there are so many potential causes it could be difficult to nail down but keep an eye out for any signs of allergies and such and check the fit of the his harness. and of course, check his environment! some dogs have unexpected allergic reactions to the environment... even stuff like grass!

my dog recently had a short bout of hot spots. his were caused from scratching under his collar and near his ear (he had an ear infection :() all cleared up now BUT i found an all natural diaper rash cream, with zinc oxide, that worked better than the antibiotic topical the vet gave me. i did run it past my vet and she said to go for it... but you can double check with yours first too ;) we also shaved the area around the hot spot so that it could dry out better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a chocolate lab who is very prone to getting rashes around his groin and arm pit areas. His vet thinks it's bacterial as we live in the country and he tends to get his "undercarriage" wet a lot and the bacteria flourishes, especially when it doesn't get dried off quickly. We struggled to get these rashes to heal on our own until finally our vet prescribed a spray called GenOne. It's an antibiotic / corticosteroid (which helps with the itching), and it's the only thing that has worked for us so far. When a rash starts to develop, I wash it gently with warm soapy water and them pat him dry. Then I spray a few sprays onto the rash and let it air dry. I do this a couple of times a day and usually the rash is gone within a few days. It's the best stuff ever. You can also get it online with a prescription for about $12 per bottle.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
He's been on this food for almost a year now and seems to be doing great on it. He was on Blue Buffalo Wilderness before, and it did not agree with him. Perhaps he developed an allergy to the meats in TOTW over time (bison and venison). I'll keep monitoring it. Thanks!
Allergies can develop over time or after eating something once. I would switch to a single protein just to see if it is causing it. I adopted a Rottie that supposedly had allergies to a bunch of different things. She had eaten lamb all her 7 years of life. I changed the meat and to a grain free and poof no more allergies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts