Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Cobber has been on a fish-based, limited-ingredient diet for a month or so now to address his loose-poop issues that he's had ever since I first got him a year ago. That food switch really seemed to help and the poop has been a lot firmer (yay!). So poultry is out (no chicken, turkey or duck), fish-based everything has been in.

The problem seems to be this little scabby spot right between his shoulder blades. It's been there for awhile, not getting any better and going away, but not getting any worse either. So I've been watching it and making sure his harness doesn't rub on it any.

Last night he was going nuts in his crate, scratching and finally whined to go out around 3am. I took him out and he went back to sleep. When we got up this morning and I was giving him his full-body good-morning rub/scratch, I discovered the hot spot was worse, bigger, raw. That's pretty obviously what he was going nuts about. I have a vet appt in a few days but can't get him there any sooner.

We just happen to be at the end of our fish-based Wellness kibble, so I was wondering if giving something else a try would be appropriate since I need to buy more food anyway, or would it possibly make things even harder to figure out?

Other possibilities: we were both stung by bees this past Sunday evening, but he didn't have an allergic reaction (just freaked out from the sting), and was fine the next morning. I did add a sardine to his dinner last night, which I don't usually do. That would maybe imply he's also allergic to fish? But he's been eating the fish kibble for a month now, so I'm sort of stumped. He takes Sentinel and gets the K9 Adv II topical every month but the last dose of both was more than a week ago, so I don't think that's it either.

Poor dog, just when he'd finally gotten back to sleeping through the night (and having firm poop!)... :confused:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Aww poor pup :( It can be SO difficult to pinpoint what's causing hotspots

Haven't a clue as to what's causing them - it's always been hard for me to look at Chewy's timeline and try to decipher what triggered something. I just rely on his blood work.

Coconut Oil is awesome for the skin and can do wonders for fighting off infections. Chewy eats his, but tonight I'm going to start rubbing into a spot on his elbow that's particularly scaly. Maybe something you could try? I get an organic tub of it from my health food store.

Good luck <3

Reactions: CobbersMom

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww poor pup :( It can be SO difficult to pinpoint what's causing hotspots

Haven't a clue as to what's causing them - it's always been hard for me to look at Chewy's timeline and try to decipher what triggered something. I just rely on his blood work.

Coconut Oil is awesome for the skin and can do wonders for fighting off infections. Chewy eats his, but tonight I'm going to start rubbing into a spot on his elbow that's particularly scaly. Maybe something you could try? I get an organic tub of it from my health food store.

Good luck <3
Thanks! That I can do very easily as I have lots on hand for my soapmaking. I will add some into the food and rub a bit on (smells wonderful!).

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would just make sure theres no difference between that kind and the kind thats safe to eat (smells good, and tastes good too.. i eat it all the time)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just make sure theres no difference between that kind and the kind thats safe to eat (smells good, and tastes good too.. i eat it all the time)
Oh no, it's food grade. I use it all the time in my own cooking; I just happen to keep a lot on hand because I also make soap with it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts