Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rocky has a hot spot on his chin. Previously we have treated hot spots with anti bacterial ointment before bed, and discouraging the post-application licking.

Because the spot is on the chin, it's difficult to get the ointment ON, let alone discouraging the licking after.

So we've used peroxide as a disinfectant, but it doesn't really protect the area from, well, all the stuff that happens around the mouth.

I've heard of coconut oil being used...and he can lick that off safely, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, my poodle also gets them but mainly on her cheeks. She cannot lick them but scratches them causing bleeding etc. I now treat the hot spot with antiseptic Savlon skin healing cream and it works wonders on her. It also seems to relieve the itchiness.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
cold pressed coconut oil is great. What kind of bowl do you use it could be an allergy to it that is causing a spot on the chin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold pressed coconut oil is great. What kind of bowl do you use it could be an allergy to it that is causing a spot on the chin.
Stainless steel bowls. I think he may have a scratch that he worried at...possibly a day care injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If you can find nu-stock, use that. We had some hot spots come up with a food change and the ones I didn't see due ot long hair got really bad. The ones I saw right away and put nustock on right away went away within a day...granted they never got to the horrible stage. It was very fast and it's less than $15 a tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts