Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BREED: Short Haired Toy Chihuahua AGE: 12

Last night I squirted a flea treatment onto him, the kind you rub between shoulder blades. I'm not sure of the brand, but it might have been Front Line. About 2 hours later he started yelping at the top of his lungs out of nowhere. Then he freaked out and refused to sleep on my bed (which he ALWAYS does). All day today he has been yelping if anybody touches him, and refuses to lay on my/his bed. Right now he is curled up in the corner across the room. I can't imagine what made him act like this other than the flea treatment. I will NEVER put that stuff on him ever again! I feel so bad. Has a flea treatment made any of your dogs freak out like this? After researching I learned it's made of chemicals that can burn the skin? Now I'm looking into natural flea sprays.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Dogs can have various reactions to flea treatments, but that is not one I have heard of. Ours has had reactions to a couple of the oral flea meds, (nothing like you describe, more appetite loss and very lethargic) but does well with Frontline+, which is what I use for her. If his behavior doesn't dramatically improve quickly, I would get him to a Vet, sooner rather than later. From your description, I wondered about a possible spinal injury. Regardless I would certainly have him checked out by a Vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts