Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two large (65+ lbs) dogs, ages 4 and 8-9ish. Both of them have developed terrible breath. It literally smells like a dead fish that has been baking in the sun. I can't, for the life of me, figure it out. I've tried brushing their teeth, changing food, dental sticks, everything. Their teeth look like they are in good shape, so I'm not too sure that's where it's coming from. They don't have plaque build up that I can see, and gums look healthy. Lou, who I adopted more recently, didn't have bad breath until a few months after I brought him home. So it must be something I'm doing! Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any tips? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I would venture to say that 80% of the time bad breath doesn't come from their mouth but rather their digestive system. If their teeth are in good shape and you brush them regularly then the next thing I would look at is diet. What food are they on now and what have you tried?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now they are eating Nature's domain grain-free turkey and sweet potato dry food. I cant seem to recall the last food they were on, but they still had the same stinky breath :( They both have bad food allergies, so I've never given them anything with corn or grain.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Any chance they are getting into something outside? I'd try slowly switching them to a different brand and see if it's any different. It's def not normal for their breath to stink though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a shallow pond in my yard? I've never seen them drink out of it but that's the only questionable thing they can really get to outside.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
are you sure its their breath and not their mouth? I agree with Nylant that bad breath often comes from the digestion, but there's something called "lip fold dermatitis" which is basically a bacterial infection that grows in the folds of the lips. Its most common in breeds like Mastiffs and the like due to their floppy lips, but it can happen with any dog. One of the symptoms is a nasty smell.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yes, as Ruth says, it could be their lips and muzzles. My old English setter needed regular "snoof-baths" because in the summer the heat and humidity, and his constantly wet muzzle, led to some serious stink unless I cleaned him up regularly.

All I would do is take a washcloth and wet it down with warm water, put a teeny bit of ivory soap in it and rub his muzzle, chin, and lips. Then I'd do another wash cloth with just water, and finally a dry towel. I also gave him treats along the way, because he really did not like this procedure much so I tried to make it at least somewhat good for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts