Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A relative has a ****zu type dog that has an aggressive side to eat. He is very protective of it's primary care giver, a senior man. He can be aggressive toward others and has bitten a neighbor and is currently under 10 day home quarantine.

I had previously suggested they look for a medicine, such as lithium to make the dog more docile and kind of "take the edge" off of it's aggressive nature.

Now they are concerned they could end up having to put the dog down. He's about a 6 YO ****zu and is otherwise very loving and sweet dog.

1) what medication could be used in a case like this to continually add to food, for example, in order to continually alter the dogs personality and make him more gentle?

2) If they are forced to get rid of him (hopefully not forced to destroy him) how could we find someone, given he's a cute, loving dog to his primary care giver? He'd be fine, with one person, but doesn't do well attempting to socialize him with others. The dog currently lives in central Florida, area.

Any suggestions. Putting the dog down would break some people's hearts. I wish they had pursued the medication angle before this happened, as the dog has given warnings before that he could be aggressive and unpredictable around other people. But what medication to try? Or where to take him to re-adopt him?

Thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Resource guarding can be a serious problem and not easily solved. I'm not sure drugging the dog is the answer, nor is re-homing him. With a bite history, it will be difficult and, IMO, irresponsible to place him elsewhere. You might contact a certified animal behaviorist for an evaluation and suggestions.

I know there are other threads on this forum about similar problems and some very good "stickied" info about aggression, resource guarding, etc. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Without seeing the behaviors for myself, it can be difficult to determine exactly what the best course of action should be... My advice to you is to first and foremost have the dog evaluated by veterinarian (Complete workup: Physical exam, bloodwork, thyroid check etc.) to make sure that the aggressiveness is not being caused by a health issue.. Once that is ruled out, my next suggestion is to have the dog seen by a behaviorist.... Between the two they should be able to come up with a solid course of action....

That being said: I have one here that has been temporarily put on a low dose of Acepromazine and/or Prozac ( he resorts to fear biting) to help control his anxieties in stressful situations.... We are also using behavior modification techniques..

Please make note, I am not saying this to upset you, I only want to inform you of the possibility: Unfortunately, if the dog has a human bite history finding a suitable home outside of the one he/she is currently in may be difficult as now the dog may be deemed a Liability in the eyes of the law and many rescues are not willing to take on the responsibility (Although, there are some) and more often than not if the behaviors can not be modified and/or controlled euthanasia IS recommended ....

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ace is not a good choice for dogs with behavior problems. Take a look at the website CARE for reactive dogs.com There is a good reference on medications.
ETA: The site I meant to reference is this one concerning Ace and the other medications often used in conjunction with behavior modification. Medications for fear & anxiety | Fearful Dogs

To the OP this article might be of help.

August | 2014 | Wilde About Dogs

Thank you, we used the Ace as more of a sedative for when we needed to take long care rides..... It is/was not an everyday thing.....

Reactions: Grabby
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.