Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've always heard that hooves were safe but now I'm hearing a lot of information suggesting they're not. So what's the verdict? Safe? Unsafe? Ok with supervision?

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Safety depends on how strong of a chewer the dog is. A hoof should be safe for a puppy, but once she chews if down you may have to take it away so she doesn't swallow what's left of it. As she gets older and stronger just keep an eye on her and if she's biting off large pieces start avoiding them.

In case you haven't heard, avoid all treats from China. Jerky from there is the biggest concern but it's safest to just leave the treat or chew if it says "made or manufactured in China".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, what Rain said.
My girl just likes to nibble on them a little bit and lick them. She doesn't actually chew the hell out of them or eat it so its not overly concerning. They can be hard on teeth and potentially splinter and cause intestinal blockage or perforation, as with bones in general. Just exercise caution.

What are you hearing that suggests otherwise? Though really anything that your dog chews can be dangerous in some form or another :p

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hunter eats them A LOT! He loves them! Once he ate too many too fast and puked them up later, no big deal. I can't really see them being dangerous though...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Hmmm, actually I do worry about dogs biting off sharp-edged pieces of quite brittle/dry hooves like cow hooves sold on the market. Puppies may not have that jaw power, though--it would be worth a try if you can handle the smell. ;)

I let our dogs eat the soft hoof trimmings from our horses when they get their feet done, but that texture is quite different--very flexible and soft.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Hmmm, actually I do worry about dogs biting off sharp-edged pieces of quite brittle/dry hooves like cow hooves sold on the market. Puppies may not have that jaw power, though--it would be worth a try if you can handle the smell. ;)

I let our dogs eat the soft hoof trimmings from our horses when they get their feet done, but that texture is quite different--very flexible and soft.
You just reminded me, I did the same when I had a horse, and the kennel.. The Shoesmith always gave them to me.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I used to ride horses when I was younger and always poached the hoof trimmings for my dogs. Stinky yet satisfying :)

And I guess with all chews and toys, it's about supervision!

·
Registered
641 Posts
In addition to watching to make sure the dog isn't splintering the hoof edges into little pieces and avoiding anything from China, you might want to take into consideration how likely you are to step on one in your bare feet in the middle of the night, because, from experience, I can tell you that's not comfortable.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bought these for the first time the other day for my dogs.Im surprised that they lasted a few days now.I haven't seen any splintering yet,but when I do they'll go in the garbage.These have lasted longer than the antlers.i will buy them again.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
All of mine love them and do just fine with them. I don't know if it's the near constant humidity here or what, but they never get brittle or dry.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I looove hooves. Cheap and satisfying. If your dog bites off splinters, 'safety-cut' hooves can be had in some pet stores. Basically the hoof wall is cut away, leaving only the flat part on the bottom.

You could probably do this at home as well... just whatever you use, don't take your fingers off!!!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Nay, imo. My dog specifically has chipped a tooth so I'm very careful with what she gets, even though she would be a fairly safe but aggressive chewer otherwise (normally no big pieces, splinters are more worrisome). My vet seriously recommended against them as well, for all dogs. I think it might be okay when supervised but there are other options in most cases so I didn't feel restricted by not feeding hooves.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I bought these for the first time the other day for my dogs.Im surprised that they lasted a few days now.I haven't seen any splintering yet,but when I do they'll go in the garbage.These have lasted longer than the antlers.i will buy them again.
If you can find them, grab water buffalo horns - same material as the hooves but they are even more durable since they are thicker.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
All of mine love them and do just fine with them. I don't know if it's the near constant humidity here or what, but they never get brittle or dry.
Who knows.

I live in the desert where our humidity easily dips below 20% in the summer. No issues with them getting brittle or dry.

Honestly my only complaint about the hooves is that they STINK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The dogs I know at the barn love horse hoof clippings!

I just introduced a cow hoof to my dogs today. Neither of my older dogs, the Yorkie and Papillon, were interested in it. At all.
Indy my pup took a liking to it and has been chewing it on and off, but hasn't been sticking to it for long... he's also using it as a toy half the time, ha! He is still using a braided bully stick to chew on the most.

There have been some small chunks that he's managed to pull off of the hoof, but they are somewhat flexible and small pieces. I don't think I'd let him chew it unsupervised, but that's just me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts