Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a new puppy (8wk old Chihuahua mix) for the past couple weeks. Of course the first thing we are working on is housetraining so I keep the water up until he walks over to get a drink then I put it down and give him some. Not to prevent drinking but so I know when he drinks so I can take him out accordingly. It's soooo much tho.
So, my question is:
How water is enough for a puppy during the day? Only when he eats or more?
Any info & input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would say more, as he might get hot and thirsty from playing and doing puppy things. Why don't you leave the water down but limit how much is in the bowls?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Puppies should have water available most of the time. What I do with my puppies is I use a timer. I set it every hour. When the timer goes off I take the puppy outside. But at night they stay in crates. I don't put water in the crate. but set my alarm to wake me up 3 or 4 times a night. I get up let the puppy get a drink of water then take it outside. In the daytime, I usually pen the puppy in an area or room where if it has accidents it is easier to clean up, where there are no rugs or carpeting. That room is usually my kitchen. So I am in there a lot to watch and catch the puppy if it has to go potty. Puppies take a lot of time until you get them house trained. You have to be very observant and catch them before they have an accident in the house. Don't punish them if they do have an accident. When I didn't have crates,I penned the puppy in the bathroom, where we have tile floors. And I used the same schedule at night, as I do with the crates. All my puppies did good on their house training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts