Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had very little success finding good homemade dog food recipes that my little guys will actually eat and enjoy. I try to give them the healthiest foods that will also give them the nutrition they need. They do not enjoy store-bought foods and it gives them poor side effects. I stumbled across a post a couple weeks ago and my dogs have loved the couple of recipes I have tried.

Do any of you have specific homemade recipes that you have found success with? Let me know and if you haven't then maybe some give some of these a try.

Here's the list of recipes: https://www.dogids.com/blog/dog-food-recipes/

Let me know what works for you all!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The basic recipe I use is:

4-5lbs chicken leg quarters or breasts
3/4lb chicken gizzards
Sweet potatoes x2
1.5-2 cups brown rice
1/2lb green beans

Layer all ingredients into crockpot & cook for 6-8 hrs.

I usually cook rice separately, drain, and add to the crockpot mix when everything else has about an hour or less to go, but that is optional. This recipe lasts several 15-30lb dogs for about 3 days, much longer if I use it as a supplement or kibble topper, and is fairly high in meat protein. If fed alone it MUST be supplemented with Calcium/Vitamin D, eggshell powder or bonemeal.

BTW, that is a great recipe site, thanks :thumbsup: The good ones are so hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I make my own treats for training. One can of salmon, tuna or any canned meat, one cup of flour, one egg and enough water to make a thick paste. Mix up and spread onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. When it is cool, I cut into little squares.

I freeze some of it and keep what I am using in the fridge.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I scanned the recipes and my main problem is that none of them included organ meat. Liver was mentioned at the start of the page, but then not included in any of the recipes. Excluding organ meat means that many of the vitamins are missing from the dog's diet.

If an owner wants to exclude organ meat then they need to be supplementing the diet with vitamins and minerals. They actually should anyway since cooking does deplete food of vitamins and minerals. I've used this one in the past and it's a decent one https://www.chewy.com/nupro-all-natural-dog-supplement-5/dp/35632, but there are other ones out there that are just as good.

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Probably need to be supplementing anyway, if the food is being cooked. The more its cooked, the less the nutrients.

Actually, cooking does increase the overall bioavailabiltiy of food, so while certain nutrients are somewhat depleted, the food itself is more usable to the body. Thus, it all balances out in the end.

Why cooking counts | Harvard Gazette

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If that were the case, kibble companies wouldn't have to add back artificial ingredients in foods. They have to add synthetic vitamins/minerals and other nutrients because it gets cooked away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there -

I cook for my dogs often and use two recipes that they seem to really enjoy. Here's the link to one made on the stovetop:

DIY Homemade Dog Food - Damn Delicious

And when I don't have time to cook on the stove, I use the crock pot for the second one.

5 pounds of chicken breast
1 cup peas
1 cup green beans
1 cup carrots
1 cup of water
Cook for 6 hours on low
Shred the chicken, add back to the crock pot with 1 cup of old fashioned oats, cook for another 30 minutes on low.

I freeze whatever they won't eat within four days, and pull out servings as needed.

I often worry about whether or not they are getting the proper nutrition, so I add a multivitamin once daily. I know that calcium is very important and many homemade recipes don't contain much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feed him only organics:

-Chicken breasts (I trim off any fat)
-Carrots
-Sweet potato (make sure to carve out the sprouts- if any)
-Broccoli
-Corn
-Blueberries
-Apples

I boil the chicken and add the sweet potatoes and corn. Make sure the chicken isn't cooked too much (even pets don't want to eat dried chicken). Take the the chicken out and let it cool down. Boil the corn and sweet potatoes until soft.

I like to shred the chicken breasts so it's easy to digest (dogs don't have the same type of stomach acid as humans to break down the foods they eat), then mash up the sweet potato and cut off the corn niblets. I toss them all together in a large bowl and let it cool.

The blueberries I add as wholes and the apples I like to cut into chunks with the skin attached (so that my baby can have at least something to chew on to clean his teeth and fruits are crunchy enough to do so but, not as harsh so that they have trouble breaking it down in their stomachs). The carrots and broccoli I cook last and mash the carrots like the sweet potatoes and finely chop the broccoli.

Parsley is optional (you don't want to feed your pet too much) but, it aids to help freshen your pets breath.

I have other recipes but, this one is the main "foundation". I- usually- will add other ingredients here and there so spruce things up and to change things so my baby doesn't have to eat the same things over and over but, definitely stick to a base diet so your pet doesn't get sick. (My Boston doesn't have an upset tummy since his base diet is what's listed above and anything extra hardly makes a huge change. ie: sometimes adding strawberries)

I add organic vitamin oils too so he gets all his needed nutrients. Of course, it'll be best to do your own research since the amount and such is based on weight and needs of every pets' health history and what their system can take. Before you try feeding your pet any raw/organically cooked meals- please, please, please do extensive research. (There are foods that you shouldn't ever feed your pet so, really look into that. ie: garlic, onion, raisins (grapes), etc.)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dogs don't have any roubles breaking down meat product with their stomach acid, I assume they wouldn't have too much problem with most vegetables either, it's the fact that their digestive system is too short to be able to absorb the nutrients they provide correctly. However protein based nutrients are easily absorbed.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
In order for dogs to get anything out of certain veggies, they have to first be pureed to extract the nutrients. And even then, what little nutrients they do get, isn't anything that's not already in raw meat/bone/organs, in larger amounts,and in a much more usable bioavailable form for the dog.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
In order for dogs to get anything out of certain veggies, they have to first be pureed to extract the nutrients. And even then, what little nutrients they do get, isn't anything that's not already in raw meat/bone/organs, in larger amounts,and in a much more usable bioavailable form for the dog.
Pretty much.
I made some cooked meals to freeze, it's easier when he's out and about or someone else has to feed him. Some people don't like the idea of feeding a dog raw, so I play the game and make it pretty. Just a filler.

These meals have carrot and turnip cut up small, and fully cooked and they still come out the rear end in chunks, the way they went in. They may help the meal pass but that's about it. The body just doesn't process them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts