Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Scout is doing great in agility! He will do the dog walk about half of the time and stay on the teeter untill it falls so me and my dad were gunna make those things. Eventually we want to be able to make the whole dog agility set so any DIY or homeade plans would be great!!! Feel free to put picturse of the equipment up if you dont want to have to say the entire process. Also, no chewing me out for making my own. My dad is a machienest and used to own his own shop so he knows what he is doing. Please if you have any! Even if you don't have pics, just post on here. THANKS!!! Meg & Scout

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You can look up plans on the Internet, just type in Dog Agility Equipment. emrys-corgis.com has some good plans for equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)wow!!!! that is a greeeeaaaaatttt website!! I loooveeee it!!! I think we might be building a dog walk this weekend... And since you seem to know what you are doing in agility, any tips on how to keep him on the teeter and dog walk??? Also gain speed on the entire course and grasp weave poles a little better?? You are a HUGE help! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My sister and I have built most of our own equipment and it has worked well for us. For a while we did have access to the regular equipment but not since last year. Our dogs have done well at the trials and it is loads of fun. The dogs really enjoy it and all you have to do is ask them if they "want to do Agility?" and they bounce around.

What kind of dog do you have? I have two Shih Tzu x Maltese that I do Agility with and my sister has one of the same cross. I have a trial coming up the next two weekends, just hope the weather co-operates.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are Shit Tzus good agility dogs? I have a six month old male that I'd like to train him for various things. I get bored in the summer, and need something to do. I figured might as well train the puppy.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Are Shit Tzus good agility dogs? I have a six month old male that I'd like to train him for various things. I get bored in the summer, and need something to do. I figured might as well train the puppy.

there is a fair amount of other skills required (sit stay down etc) as well as other foundationals (leave it, touch etc) that you should work on first, while his body is still growing...but generally any dog that is functional can do agility. Many people use BC and Aussies because they are FAST and that affects scores...but truely any dog can do it :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
500 Posts
My father made jumps, a tyre and weave poles for me. I had prepared a drawing for the jumps so he could build them. He also tried to make an A but I told him that plan is dangerous without proper materials and a good space to place it. A real A also doesn't fit into a normal car like my other obstacles do. Now I just need a place to use them... Our agility training will be continued next winter.

My collie was scared of the dog walk at first. She saw one at my aunt's and we tried it. She couldn't walk on it and fell. We decided to help her and we walked on her both sides when she was doing the dog walk. She couldn't fall anymore because we were there to catch her. Soon she learned to hold her balance and needed no help any more. Actually, she learned to love that obstacle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts