• Both (more home-cooked inclined)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both (more industrial inclined)

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My wife and I had this argument the other day about what type of food most dog owners usually give to their beloved four legged mates. She said that it's home-cooked and I rooted for Industrial one :) . It goes without saying that it's impossible to gather all of the opinions in the world but, nevertheless, if you could just share your thoughts on what you usually opt for, it would be much appreciated. Taking into consideration, that there is no specific prescribed diet.

P.S. Mixed is also an option.

Cheers,
D
馃А馃А馃А

Registered
Usually, at least in my part of the world, industrial. It's a convenience, balance, and often money thing. But that can depend on the culture and country one is in.

There is also the preference vs reality. Plenty would love to do home-cooked/raw, but because of the above reasons or others can't/won't.

Registered
Usually, at least in my part of the world, industrial. It's a convenience, balance, and often money thing. But that can depend on the culture and country one is in.

There is also the preference vs reality. Plenty would love to do home-cooked/raw, but because of the above reasons or others can't/won't.
Aren鈥檛 you scared of what is inside kibble? I have an healthy diet so my dog should too

Registered
I think most are doing industrial too. There are better formulas out there and ones that are awful. Lots of info to help pick the best kind. Processing is different for certain kibble brands, you can even buy freeze dried and frozen raw too. Personally I don't trust myself to make a balanced main diet. These companies have been doing this for years or decades.

Registered
I give my Rough Collie brown rice with vegetables and meat mixed in and the others get grain free dog food and they all have raw chicken mixed in with a splash of raw milk. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of coconut oil.

Registered
Aren鈥檛 you scared of what is inside kibble? I have an healthy diet so my dog should too
There are good kibbles and bad ones. the thing to do is educate yourself about what dogs need to have good nutrition, and then educate yourself on exactly what dog food labels mean and how to read and interpret them. Once you know those things, and in addition make use of any good dog food advice that is available, you will know how to choose.

Making the food for your dog is another choice but in order to do that successfully you still have to know a lot about dog nutrition and make sure they are getting what they need by carefully balancing the food, or giving supplements, or both.

I love The Dog Food Advisor online, but it's for dog foods available in the USA. Still, if you read their analysis of dog foods you will learn from that how to read dog food labels and that will help you to choose a good food. The dog foods I feed my dogs do not have anything in them to be scared of.

Registered
This year it seems every time I have settled on a brand of dog food, I can't get it. They have either quit making it or can't get it shipped in. I live in the Cariboo region in BC Canada which is not in the middle of nowhere but between Covid, then slides and floods closing the main highways, it is going to be a while before things change. At least I am lucky and my dogs change foods with no problems. Making my own food is not an option as it would be impossible to get the right ingredients.

Registered
This year it seems every time I have settled on a brand of dog food, I can't get it. They have either quit making it or can't get it shipped in. I live in the Cariboo region in BC Canada which is not in the middle of nowhere but between Covid, then slides and floods closing the main highways, it is going to be a while before things change. At least I am lucky and my dogs change foods with no problems. Making my own food is not an option as it would be impossible to get the right ingredients.
having lived in some remote areas and some not really remote but underserved, as they say, I can sympathize with you on this. Hope things get easier.

Registered
Personally I say neither is ideal, but home cooked is a lesser evil. Dogs are designed to eat raw meat, organs and bones, not cooked meat or heavily processed muck that the pet food companies churn out. Apparently cooking alters proteins, makes fats indigestible to dogs, and destroys some nutrients.

Registered
While a raw diet can be an excellent diet, and if managed correctly may be the best thing for many dogs, I always like to remember that dogs evolved alongside and because of people and have always eaten what people eat, much of which historically has not been raw meat.

One thing I like to remind people is that dogs are not wolves, nor wild animals. Wolves and coyotes and other wild canines absolutely are designed to eat raw meat. Dogs, however, have been evolving separately from wild canines alongside human beings for about 30,000 years, and are no longer the wild canines they descended from. They have managed to be healthy and strong being fed a wide range of diet from all over the world according to the people who have kept them. Things like oatmeal, rice, noodles, frozen fish and so on have been fed to dogs for thousands of years.

These days, it is a fad to feed grain free or a raw diet or a home cooked diet and I am not saying there's anything wrong with that. But I like to remember that dog food itself has only existed for a relatively short time in the span of the thousands of years that dogs and people have been living together. Dogs, like coyotes as well, have adapted to do well on many different kinds of foods. Now that so much natural habitat has taken over coyote country, many live in towns and city eating human scraps they can scavenge and are healthy.

This is not to say that it's not a good thing that more attention is being paid to dog nutrition, of course. I sure do with my dogs and want to give them the best, whatever that is for each one of them. But not all modern dogs have a system designed to handle raw meat, organs and bones. It depends on the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts