Dog Dog breed Carnivore Guitar Collar
Font Human leg Fashion accessory Event Carmine
Sleeve Gesture Grey Knee Wrist

023 from the

Hello dear dog lovers,

I would like to share my experience with [manufacturer name edited out by moderator] BRACES size M I have purchased on 17th January

My puppy suffers from Canine Tarsal Hyperextension and acc. to our vet, she needs fixation. that´s why I have purchased hock braces.
After a week of wearing them, braces got deformed and when I reported this to the shop, I´ve got a reply that the dog was jumping a lot, and I should get new pair of aluminum reinforcement from them for the shipment cost.

Yesterday my dog completely ruined the braces in 20 minutes, while I went to the shop. When I reported it back.
the reply was " we are sorry, you have left the dog unattended", you have it in instructions...

Every dog owner knows that it is impossible to have the dog constantly on your eyes 10-14 hours a days,for 6 months (this is the time when the dog is supposed to wear the braces), especially with both adults going to work and having two small kids.

It is normal that puppy jumps...you cannot make the dog stands still. where I see a problem is that the solution is very cheap and does not really reflects the dog needs and dog´s behavior.

I wonder if there is anyone with similar experience, who can give me some advice what support to choose in order to make it work as it should?

Hand Shoe Leg Human body Sleeve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have edited the name of the manufacturer out of your post - I understand you are frustrated and angry but we can't leave the forum vulnerable to accusations of libel/slander.

It looks as though your dog might have chewed the braces, would that be correct?

#5 ·
Hello Joanne, my dog had the braces on wearing them the whole day as vet suggested. I left to shop and after 20 min I arrived, the braces have been chewed. The material of which they are made is soft foam rubber with some fabrics on it and aluminum stick for reinforcement - really not a sofisticated piece of leg fixation for a dog, when they are so easy to chew.

#6 ·
Medical device manufacture is a compromise for animals. The device needs to have some flexibility to accommodate the animal's movement, yet have enough rigidity to provide support. Not many materials provide the necessary medical qualities while also being affordable and chew proof. I think your best bet is to replace the braces with a new pair. Use a head cone or an anti-chew spray (e.g. bitter apple, bitter cherry) to discourage the dog from chewing the new pair.

#8 ·
Sorry, I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation - I'm in a different region, and my animals have longer legs than your dog. What is available for me and fits my animals is different than what's available and fit's your dog. My impression is that most hock braces have similar construction: some kind of neoprene or nylon shell, metal or stiff plastic inserts on the sides to prevent lateral movement, a cutout on the back to prevent the joint from rubbing, and velcro straps for easy fastening. There is variation on the size of the braces, the angles, and the decoration. As I said, what would fit my guys won't fit yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.