Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.5 year old Lab/Border Collie mix (my best guess) was diagnosed with hip dysplasia last week. He had sudden onset lameness starting on Dec 24th that stuck around with no improvement. I work at a vet clinic, so he came to work with me on the 30th for an exam and radiographs were done under sedation on the 31st. Rads showed more involved dysplasia than expected based on symptoms. He is on Day 4 of Previcox and we started an osteosupport supplement today.

There has been little to no improvement in his gait or perceived pain level despite Previcox. He can still bounce playfully and climb stairs, but not without an altered gait and frequent moments of hesitation that I have to believe are pain responses. We expected to have some issues given the way we had acquired him ("rescued" by woman from a neglectful situation, came to us at 18wks with zero socialization and abducted hind legs due to malnutrition and neglect) but we have always kept him lean and active in attempt to avoid hip issues. We have had pet insurance on him since we got him and they cover hereditary issues (thankfully) so we are probably looking at getting a total hip replacement done on one, possibly both, hips in the near future based on his response to pain meds.

This whole situation is just breaking my heart. He makes our lives whole and the thought of him being in pain for a second kills me. I want to do anything and everything in my power for him.
Hip dysplasia isn't rare, so I'm just looking for advice on keeping him comfortable, experiences with dysplasia/hip replacements, any and all analgesic and surgical options, and just general advice from fellow dog lovers! I will try to attach a copy of the radiograph for the sake of curiosity. I live in NB Canada by the way, in case there are any location based referrals. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Not many total hips are done and I haven't seen one to give input on how they do, sorry! Those hips are pretty bad though, especially the right one (left side of picture of its oriented correctly).

Has performing an FHO been discussed? I'd go for the total hip of possible though but this is another option.

You can try adding Omega 3 fatty acids and/or Gabapentin to the previcox... Or switch to a different NSAID if the previcox doesn't seem to be working (wait about 5 days in between starting a new NSAID and stopping the old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Holly. The vet I work for does FHO's and is willing to perform the procedure if I insist, but she's hesitant due to his size (almost 60lbs) and recommended doing at least one total hip if possible. That way he would have a stable side to rely on. I think if finances allow, we're going to replace both hips especially since insurance will pay for a good chunk of it. The idea of only fixing half the problem and leaving him to have to compensate for the rest of his life isn't really an option in my mind.
The osteosupport supplement he just started lists these ingredients: Osteosupport contains 100% natural, fresh and pure Green Lipped Mussel (Perna canaliculus 500mg/capsule), providing omega 3 fatty acids (EPA, ETA and DHA) and glycosaminoglycans (chondroitin sulphates). I'm hoping they help, I'm kicking myself for having not started these earlier given his history.
You're right about them not being done often, finding someone with firsthand experience with total hip replacements in a dog is almost impossible! My night is going to be spent on google trying to find any info on them. The only place to get the procedure done in eastern Canada is at UPEI, which is 6 hours away.
I never thought about Gabapentin. Brody has shown sensitivity to NSAIDS in the past, so it's making his pain control interesting. How long would you suggest leaving him on the previcox before trying a different drug?
Thanks again for your reply, I really do appreciate it.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
When I was in school I was sooo close to being in a total hip surgery but then they cancelled :-(

Does your vet want him on the NSAIDs daily? If so, give it a couple of weeks. You can add the Gabapentin to the NSAID if you want to see if it helps.

FHO isn't ideal in a dog his size, especially if total hip is an option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plan was NSAIDs daily for 3-4 days, then as needed after that. He seems a bit more comfortable today (Day 6). He developed PU/PD in the past after Meloxicam, so we are a little weary of keeping on anything daily long term.

We're getting a toddler bed frame for him tomorrow, hoping to get an orthopedic bed that fits into it but a crib mattress will have to do for now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little to no improvement as of today... vet decided to try cold laser therapy sessions and Cartrophen injections every week for a month, then reassess. She thinks it might be more mechanical than inflammatory at this point. If he's not markedly improved in a month, or if he's any worse, we'll have to talk surgery. His first injection of cartrophen caused a reaction of course, he vomited 4 times. Gum color stayed pink, HR stayed <100 and no hives or swelling occurred. Oh, and guess who slipped going up the stairs and slammed his worst hip down on the hard wood, causing him to be non-weight bearing for about 10mins.... :( Might have to abandon my desire for a painted wooden staircase and hire someone to install carpet instead.
We got his new bed yesterday and he doesn't hate it, but he still prefers to sleep in our bed with us...

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
At least you're doing what you can to help your dog.

Over the weekend I saw an old Lab that had serious hip dysplasia. He lived under a double wide trailer next door to some friends' parents. His owners won't let him in their trailer or take him to the vet because "he's just a dog". So, he's stuck out in the cold with his painful joints. He waddled over to us, wagging his tail and loving the attention we gave him. Our friends' Mom gave him a "bone health" dog biscuit she keeps to feed him when he comes over for a visit. Such a sweet dog but barely taken care of by his owners. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's heartbreaking... I'll never understand how people can watch their pet suffer every single day and do nothing to help them. Could you report them for failure to provide medical care? The dog is in obvious distress if his dysplasia is affecting his gait. So sad :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts