Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First time posting here. I have a 3 yr old Jack Russell Terrier. I recently took her to a new vet. He said the reason she was shedding might be because of her current food. She was recently on Purina Beneful. Supposedly that is a low quality. When I came home I went to that Blue Buffalo food comparer. They are sending me coupons. I went to Petsmart. I was heading straight towards the Blue section when I saw a Hills rep. She recomended Hills Ideal Balance.She said that Hills is in between Blue and Iams. I ended up picking up a bag of that Hills Ideal Balance. Is Hills high quality? What food do you think is best? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
blue buffalo is much better , I had a dog with stomach problems and taste of the wild was the best for him no meat just fish sweet potatoes and berries
I use diamond natural for my newest dog good price and good food
I use the lamb flavor

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's been a long time since I've looked into kibble, I feed my dogs raw food. But hills has always been known to be low quality food. The problem I have with blue is that recently they had been sued(?) for not listing ingredients. I think it was byproducts, which they say they don't use.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's been a long time since I've looked into kibble, I feed my dogs raw food. But hills has always been known to be low quality food. The problem I have with blue is that recently they had been sued(?) for not listing ingredients. I think it was byproducts, which they say they don't use.
You're completely right! Molly was on a Hill's prescription plan for years, and it made her sluggish and lazy and tired all the time, not to mention overweight. My parent's hated the way it made her feel but my dad was scared her kidney stones would come back if we tried anything else. I recently convinced him to switch to a BARF diet and she's already noticeably more energetic. So yes, Hill's is really not very good at all.

And it was a lawsuit. Purina sued them for false advertising because Blue was saying they didn't use by-product and when tested they found loads of stuff wrong with their food, mainly by-product in foods proudly labeled by-product free, and grain remnants in "grain-free" variety's. Blue settled out of court with Purina for millions and then claimed they didn't break any laws because it was their ingredient manufacturers fault not theirs. :(

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi all,

First time posting here. I have a 3 yr old Jack Russell Terrier. I recently took her to a new vet. He said the reason she was shedding might be because of her current food. She was recently on Purina Beneful. Supposedly that is a low quality. When I came home I went to that Blue Buffalo food comparer. They are sending me coupons. I went to Petsmart. I was heading straight towards the Blue section when I saw a Hills rep. She recomended Hills Ideal Balance.She said that Hills is in between Blue and Iams. I ended up picking up a bag of that Hills Ideal Balance. Is Hills high quality? What food do you think is best? Thanks!:)
Beneful it the bottom of the line I think it may even be below the line. Between the coloring and dyes and the byproducts there is pretty much nothing real in it. Hills is not much better. Blue is having its problems so I would choose something else. I think Zignature or the Go grain free line of foods are a good solid choice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You're completely right! Molly was on a Hill's prescription plan for years, and it made her sluggish and lazy and tired all the time, not to mention overweight. My parent's hated the way it made her feel but my dad was scared her kidney stones would come back if we tried anything else. I recently convinced him to switch to a BARF diet and she's already noticeably more energetic. So yes, Hill's is really not very good at all.

And it was a lawsuit. Purina sued them for false advertising because Blue was saying they didn't use by-product and when tested they found loads of stuff wrong with their food, mainly by-product in foods proudly labeled by-product free, and grain remnants in "grain-free" variety's. Blue settled out of court with Purina for millions and then claimed they didn't break any laws because it was their ingredient manufacturers fault not theirs. :(
I started feeding the BARF method when I first started raw feeding but moved onto prey model and haven't looked back. I use to be part of a raw feeding group and I remember there was at least a couple dogs with kidney stones fed prey model.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I started feeding the BARF method when I first started raw feeding but moved onto prey model and haven't looked back. I use to be part of a raw feeding group and I remember there was at least a couple dogs with kidney stones fed prey model.
I also feed Prey model for Bandit, but my dad was nervous about that, and likes the fact that he can make portion sized meatballs for Molly and freeze them, and I was so happy just to get her off Hill's that I haven't made much of a fuss about prey model for Molly yet. I'm sure he'll eventually get comfortable with it.

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Beneful just had a recall on 3/11! Anything Purina is YUCK IMO! Go to Dogfoodadvisor.com and pick a 4 or 5 star rated food food ....there are plenty!
Of course if you have a freezer, and can afford it, the best is to feed raw (or at least some raw)

Reactions: annageckos

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If Hill's and Blue are your only options go with Blue, although Ideal Balance isn't all that bad compared to most of the Hill's line.

Here's the ingredient's in Hills Ideal Balance Natural Chicken & Brown Rice:
Ingredients

Chicken, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Oats, Chicken Fat, Pea Protein Concentrate, Flaxseed, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Lactic Acid, Vegetable & fruit blend (Green Peas, Apples, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli), Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Beta-Carotene, Natural Flavors

I feed Fromm Pork & Peas, it's a 4 to 5 star food, here's the ingredient list on it so that you can compare it to the Hill's

Pork, peas, chickpeas, pea flour, pork meal, pea protein, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), whole dried eggs, pork liver, sweet potatoes, dried tomato pomace, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), cheese, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, carrots, apples, pineapple, mango, melon, celery, parsley, lettuce, spinach, pork cartilage, potassium chloride, salt, chicory root extract, yucca schidigera extract, sodium selenite, folic acid, taurine, Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics.

This website Dog and Cat Food, Treats, and Supplies | Free Shipping at Chewy.com has very good prices on dog food, and is cheaper them most pet shops. Even if you don't want to buy your dog's food from them you can use the site to check out ingredient list on whatever food your interested in buying.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey!

I have a lot of experience with both Blue Buffalo (Wilderness) and Hills (both High Fibre and Hypoallergenic). These are the only two foods my dog has ever been accustomed to eating until recently. My dog had started to get sensitivities (anal gland issues) to Blue, so the vet suggested we switch her to Hills and what a mistake that was! It is worse than Blue, but Blue is still not great in my opinion - especially considering you end up paying high prices for low quality! My dog has got an ear infection, bladder infection and itchy skin from the Hills food. I know some dogs have more allergies than others but it still isn't great food.

I recently switched Bella to Natural Balance Limited Ingredients and it so far so good! Even the lady at Petsmart said it was a great choice for high allergy dogs! So maybe give this a try! Its comparable price wise - I'd say maybe even a little cheaper! :)

Thanks,
Kerri

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe I should start my own thread for this but I just bought Purina Pro Focus in chicken and rice for my puppy. The breeder says that's what she feeds so I figured I would stay with what they know.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe I should start my own thread for this but I just bought Purina Pro Focus in chicken and rice for my puppy. The breeder says that's what she feeds so I figured I would stay with what they know.

@DarknessFalls, first off, your puppy is adorable! :)

I am not too familiar with Purina Pro, but from my understanding Purina has been known to have legal issues because of the quality of their food. It is not high quality by any means. It has wheat, corn, soy, etc., which are all very high allergen foods for dogs and is not very good for them. I checked on Dogfoodadvisor and it only rates 2.5 stars of 5. I am sure you can definitely find a better food.

The person who we got our pup from was also feeding a low quality food to Bella when we got her (probably because its cheaper and they have lots of puppies to feed) and she suggested we keep her on it because if you switch them cold turkey to another, it will make them sick because they are not used to it. However, when we went to PetSmart, they advised us that the food she was on was comparable to eating McDonalds everyday (which was an eye opener) and so we slowly transitioned her over a week and a half to a better quality food (or so we thought.. it was Blue Buffalo but now come to find out it wasn't that great either and Purina makes it-they just got sued for lying about ingredients). Since then we have switched her to a much better Limited Ingredient Diet food called Natural Balance Lamb and Brown Rice. MUCH BETTER! But there is a lot of other high quality foods.

Anyways lol, the point is I would definitely put her on a better quality of food by slowly transitioning her to it. If you need info on how to transition, I can help. Just message me! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
@DarknessFalls, first off, your puppy is adorable! :)

I am not too familiar with Purina Pro, but from my understanding Purina has been known to have legal issues because of the quality of their food. It is not high quality by any means. It has wheat, corn, soy, etc., which are all very high allergen foods for dogs and is not very good for them. I checked on Dogfoodadvisor and it only rates 2.5 stars of 5. I am sure you can definitely find a better food.

The person who we got our pup from was also feeding a low quality food to Bella when we got her (probably because its cheaper and they have lots of puppies to feed) and she suggested we keep her on it because if you switch them cold turkey to another, it will make them sick because they are not used to it. However, when we went to PetSmart, they advised us that the food she was on was comparable to eating McDonalds everyday (which was an eye opener) and so we slowly transitioned her over a week and a half to a better quality food (or so we thought.. it was Blue Buffalo but now come to find out it wasn't that great either and Purina makes it-they just got sued for lying about ingredients). Since then we have switched her to a much better Limited Ingredient Diet food called Natural Balance Lamb and Brown Rice. MUCH BETTER! But there is a lot of other high quality foods.

Anyways lol, the point is I would definitely put her on a better quality of food by slowly transitioning her to it. If you need info on how to transition, I can help. Just message me! :)
Thank you! And thanks for the pointers. I'll look into that website about the food ratings. It's amazing the things manufacturers try to put into dog food these days. :mad:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I switched to Taste of the Wild(salmon) when I found out Blue lied about ingredients. For me I get these companies make mistakes hence so many re-calls. I just can't get over pushing your product as By-product free knowingly that is totally false. My puppy loves TOTW and his coat looks great and he always has a solid poop. I will switch back and forth with flavors just in case he gets bored. I like to give variety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think that Blue bufalo not very quality foot this is clas as pedigree or hypermarkets dog food he have good price but only price hills or proplan have better quality for dog but be more expensive Purina pro plan is one the best quaity dog food and i think that blue bufalo can not be compared with these as hills or proplan or other premium quality dry foot

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not a fan of blue buffalo. I had my dogs on the wilderness. They never had nice firm stool and the older one had to have his anal glands expressed regularly. I have since then switched.

One of my dogs is a puppy and we give him Nulo puppy. It's a high quality food and he's been developing well on it. The older dog is now on Taste of the Wild, no more anal gland problems. Ideally I'd like them both on the same food but you know what they say, "If it ain't broken..."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts