Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my life goals? Hiking with my parrot and my dog. I don't have my liscence and neither of my parents would be able to go hiking for long periods of time. My hiking buddies live far and wide... as soon as I get my liscence im going to start hiking again. Im so far from parks and the one im closest to doesn't allow pets.

But someday i'll live closer to trails... and im not afraid to take a day trip by myself with my pets. I asked about getting a parrot backpack in a group im on and someone was upset with the idea of me taking my parrot on hikes. They said there are too many dangers and to do him a favor by leaving him at home. But the others who commented thought it would be a great idea.

I just kinda assumed it would be nice for him to get out of the house and explore with me sometime. Id obviously only be doing the easier trails with my pets and i've taught wilderness suvrvival and outdoor skills at camp long enough to know what im doing if something does happen. It's not like I planned on taking him above the treeline. Or on some of those very risky and dangerous trails we have here in Maine.

Im hoping i'll find the perfect match of greyhound for my lifestyle (and his or her lifestyle) that would enjoy long hikes. Though many greyhounds love long walks! Im also hoping that I will make some new friends that would love to go too.

When im upset or down I think to myself, "Just wait, one day I will be able to hike with my parrot and/or my pup."

Hopefully I have such freedoms sooner, that way I can take Molly and Rookie. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
If properly conditioned, the dogs could out hike you, most likely! Haha. I've taken Aspen on some pretty grueling hikes and when we get back to the trail head, she's jumping around asking for more! :) Hiking is one of my absolute favorite things to do with my dog. It is so relaxing and so much fun! During the spring and fall, I hike every weekend. Summer (too hot) and winter (too icy) are both hit or miss. I go as much as I can, while keeping it safe for Aspen and I.

One thing that you can do (if you haven't already), is start getting the gear. Man, I have SO much hiking gear... and that's only for day trips. Backpacking requires even more. You can start getting your dogs used to carrying their own packs too.

I don't know anything about parrots though. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If properly conditioned, the dogs could out hike you, most likely! Haha. I've taken Aspen on some pretty grueling hikes and when we get back to the trail head, she's jumping around asking for more! :) Hiking is one of my absolute favorite things to do with my dog. It is so relaxing and so much fun! During the spring and fall, I hike every weekend. Summer (too hot) and winter (too icy) are both hit or miss. I go as much as I can, while keeping it safe for Aspen and I.

One thing that you can do (if you haven't already), is start getting the gear. Man, I have SO much hiking gear... and that's only for day trips. Backpacking requires even more. You can start getting your dogs used to carrying their own packs too.

I don't know anything about parrots though. Sorry.
Oh yeah, I forgot that I will need a hiking partner to carry the other gear! Duh! If im carrying the parrot I wont be able to carry anything else.

And hey, New England has so many options! I love adventuring here. It's so beautiful. :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I can't wait till I get Trucker to the point he can just ignore other people on the trails so we can go "real" hiking, right now we can only go paved trail hiking. The trails and places around here are amazing and trucker thinks he can scale everything.

This spring I am going to take him up to some private property and take him on his first off-trail hike into the woods and along a gorge. There will be no other people there so he should love it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've done a lot of hikes with dogs. They mostly love it. Some observations. Always had to retire my dogs from strenuous/long hikes at about 8 years old, weekend trips okay, but two week camping seemed too much.
Dogs get paranoid in the woods, so if they are outgoing at home, they may get a bit shy in the woods, just be alert for behaviour changes, especially after dusk far from people places. I've seen this in other peoples dogs too (as in, 'they never bark like that at home')
Be prepared for rain, extra towels? a 'pack towel' just for fido? Things like that, dog sleeps in the tent, soooooo...
I know nothing about parrots, so get thee to a parrot forum to ask about your parrot.
I did camp and hike with cats--they are willing and loyal, but not physically up to extended hikes and over heat pretty quick (my cats were fine but they are more delicate than dogs; would make good camping companions for folks who less than 5 k in a day)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts