Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not highly allergic to dogs. I do have dogs allergies, but usually,I take a zyrtec and can be around them all day. I am aware that no dog is 100% hypoallergenic, but I was told for people with mild dog allergies, hypoallergenic dogs are a great choice. I don't have any other allergies, and I thought a Poodle would be a great choice given my lifestyle and my allergies. So, I adopted a Standard Poodle puppy about 5 days ago. After just one day and I got asthma and a stuffy nose. It was disappointing, but I just figured I would go back on Zyrtec. Even while on the Zyrtec, my symptoms did not back off even a little bit. My nose has not been unplugged one time (sorry,gross) since I got him. I even put air filters in my house and bathed him to get any possible other dog dander off him. No results. He is a wonderful puppy, I love him very much but I do not know what to do. Suggestions please!! :(:(:(:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Could you go get an allergy test just to confirm?

I, personally don't have debilitating allergies, but a friend of mine was HIGHLY allergic to horses. She goes once/month for a shot and it allows her to see her horse everyday and ride with very minimal allergy symptoms. Maybe this is an option for you?

·
Registered
324 Posts
My husband is an allergist and he says his biggest pet peeve is that people say there are "hypoallergenic" breeds of dogs and now even cats (Siberian). There is no such thing and he has had patients come in to see him after purchasing a "hypoallergenic" puppy and are in your exact situation. Your options are to rehome/return the puppy, or try allergy shots and hope for the best. Big bummer and am so sorry :(

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I do agree that maybe a shot would be a good option, if possible.

What breeds have you been around in the past? I've heard strange stories of people who are highly allergic to all kinds of dogs, but for some reason X breed doesn't set them off - even very hairy breeds like Samoyeds or Huskies.

Fingers crossed though that all goes well and you can get some medication that will allow you to keep your pup! Standard Poodles are awesome dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Allergy shots helped me with cats. I couldn't even walk past a cat without getting itchy eyes. But it took a couple of years of getting weekly shots. I have a standard poodle, and they are amazing. I would definitely get allergy tested to be sure. The pollen is really bad right now, or it could be a sinus infection. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that--I almost had to get rid of my dog, because my stepson was supposedly allergic to him. I was crying my eyes out! It turned out when we finally got the test results, that dog dander was a tiny fraction of the problem, and grasses were by far the main culprit. Hepa filters and seasonal meds took care of the issue fortunately.

So I would definitely get some testing done, and check into ways you could possibly deal with this short of rehoming.

A few things that might help. I would put the dog on a raw diet--it will reduce the amount of dander that his skin will produce. The skin is another excretory organ and the cleaner the diet, the better. I would also look at YOUR diet--is it top notch? Skin problems and allergies are one of the first manifestations of a nutritional deficiency. You might also want to try hepa filtration systems in the rooms where you hang out the most.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I'm just wondering if the shampoo you are using could be the cause. I've had a friend that was not allergic to her dog, took her to the groomer, and it wasn't long after that the allergic symptoms arose.

But do agree with others, allergy shots may be in order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.