Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night we had our first week of positive reinforcement foundation training classes for Roxy and Rico. Roxy did amazingly well and followed along great, even relaxed on her mat during the downtime. Rico, however. Oh man, this kid. He's come SUCH a long way from me not being able to leave his sight without him melting down, but last night was rough. We got there early and took them to the park there so they could unwind a bit. We also took them for a walk in the area to familiarize them with it, but Rico was already stressed. Once we went inside, he whined and was highly stressed the entire hour long class. The instructor and I decided to just click and treat for whenever he would stop whining, but that was pretty rare. He didn't even want any of the good, normally high-value treats I brought (leftover steak from dinner, chopped up hot dog and cheese) and would only show a slight interest in Beggin' Strips (so glad I threw those in as a last minute backup!)

Next week, we're going to try setting him up in an area with some wire gates with sheets on them so he can't see other dogs, and hope that helps. I read Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out a while back and used it to help calm him down at home with decent success, so I'm rereading it, but if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear it!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Is he reactive? Visual barriers will definitely help. I remember when I was apprenticing that we happened to have 4 reactive dogs in a class of 6! The class was in a store so each dog got an aisle to themselves and so long as we were careful about dogs crossing in front of aisles, they all did super well!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.