Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three dogs, two 1 yr. old dogs (GSD and golden retriever) and an 11 yr. old pit bull mix. The pit bull and golden retriever are lazy and inactive dogs, while my GSD is the most energetic thing I have ever seen.

Now to my question, is feeding all three dogs Blue Wilderness Adult a problem? I was told that the higher protein may not be good for my inactive dogs. :ponder:

The two 1 yr. olds are a normal weight, according to my vet, and the 11 yr. old has always been a little chubby. She actually lost weight on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

I'm open to suggestions of other brands, since they seem to be getting bored of it. :huddle:

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I can't see it being an issue! If the dogs are doing well on it, I wouldn't worry. I have a 14yo that has always been chubby as well, just make sure you are feeding her the right amount! My youngest Border Collie and my oldest Border Collie mix are both on a lower protein, grain-inclusive formula (father's dogs). My GSD is on Horizon Legacy and seems to be doing well on it. She has been on Orijen and Acana before and did okay, but it's a little more money than the Horizon.

You can always try different flavours of the Wilderness. I have also heard good things about Fromm, Go!, Now, Zignature, Earthborn Holistics, Annamaet, and Acana and Orijen. There are lots of good foods out there :)

I got told by my vet not to feed my wirey GSD any All Life Stages food because it was higher in fat for puppies. I don't believe it is an issue for one second!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Especially if your oldest has lost weight on it, I see no reason to not continue to feed it to all of your dogs. Protein is good for them!

·
Registered
727 Posts
As long as they are all doing well on the food I don't see a problem, just feed an adequate amount according to size (weight) and exercise.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
For the inactive ones i think high protein is ok as long as fat content isn't 24% but more like 17% .however if doing well on it why not keep feeding it? What formula /flavor yo
u giving them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts