Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I have a Basset Hound and they like to sleep...heck...that's one of the reasons why I like Bassets. :p

Last Monday I switched Snickers over to Orijen from Iams and she likes her new kibble better. She is eating about 3 to 3 1/2 cups per day whereas she would barely touch the Iams. She finally was on 100% Orijen by Saturday and I've noticed she has had a decrease in energy.

Where I really notice this is in the mornings. Usually I wake up at 6:00 and let her out. I then feed her and she runs around my house wanting to play. She'd bark and bite at my clothes as I try to get dressed. The last 2 days after I let her out she jumps up on my bed and sleeps while I get ready.

At night she seems fine and we walked for about 1 mile last night. We do our nightly training and she evens runs around the house like a greyhound.

I will not ever switch back to Iams because of their animal testing and I am not regretting making the switch at all. She still has a lot of the Orijen remaining and I plan to keep feeding her the Orijen until it's gone and I'm going to monitor her condition.

I have seen ingredients such as Taurine and L-Carnitine in dog foods and those are 2 ingredients in energy drinks so I'm not sure how I feel about feeding my puppy Red Bull. :confused:

Has anyone else had similar experience? Any ideas if it's likely the dog food?

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I don't think it would make them quieter-and I've never read anything to that effect. In fact protein should make you more energetic ;)

Is it colder out? Maybe she just wants the warm spot on the bed?

Mikey got used to the fact that weekdays (I'm sure he knows they are weekdays becasue we get up so much earlier) are not worth noting and he doesn't wake-and if he does-it's to glare at us and go back to sleep. So during the week he knows were leaving and there is no point trying to start a game or try to get walkies. Maybe she's doing the same? Maybe see what she does on the weekend when routine is different :)

And keep an eye of course any big change deserves that and maybe a call to the vet :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikey got used to the fact that weekdays (I'm sure he knows they are weekdays becasue we get up so much earlier) are not worth noting and he doesn't wake-and if he does-it's to glare at us and go back to sleep. So during the week he knows were leaving and there is no point trying to start a game or try to get walkies. Maybe she's doing the same? Maybe see what she does on the weekend when routine is different :)
I figured she was on the weekend schedule yesterday, but today I was surprised she wasn't as energetic.

And keep an eye of course any big change deserves that and maybe a call to the vet :)
I thought about that, but she was just in for a visit last Thursday to get microchipped. I don't want to take her in so soon.

I don't think it's the food, but doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
taurine is an amino acid and L-carnitine is some sort of nutrient (they are linked... one produces the other or something like that) they are finding that the two are linked to heart health and retinal health...

it could be that she is more satiated and relaxed with this new food... i know that my cat absolutely flips out and goes crazy when he is hungry... maybe she just wasn't n able to feel "full" on the Iams???

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Yeah on energy levels I can't comment-Mikey is insane and always has been except the first few weeks-totally thin and out of shape and crummy food. Since then he's been a nut. (WE thought we had a couch potato but we were wrong...) :p

But yeah-carbs especially simple carbs like corn meal are going to immediatly enter blood and cause a sugar spike -high energy(usually followed by a crash) ; protein fibre and complex carbs mediate blood sugar levels and cause no real spikes sustained energy-but I'm not sure that would lead to more sleeping....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Response From Orijen

I'm loving Orijen more and more each day! Great customer service!

Hello!

I asked our nutritionist for some input on your question, and this is what he had to say:

Our Orijen kibble could make a dog drowsy if they eat too much. Simply, if the dog over eats, its activity level will decrease in accordance. Other than this however, the food provides high quality nutrition that is well balanced so unless the animal is suffering from a disease condition or is unwell for any reason, the food will not “make” the dog drowsy. A lot of times, a dog will relax and slow down when they are content. (I am the same way after a good meal :))

Definitely monitor your dogs condition, and let me know how she is doing. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to write back.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Oh my gawd-you have like an orijen relationship now!! Two responses! That's awesome! :) Hmmmm Now I wanna think of a question and email them lol :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's so cool :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just wondering what age snickers is. When I got my guy at 18months he was extremely active. By the age of approximately 21/2 he had calmed down considerably and developed a love affair with his bed!

FWIW, Both my dogs were rescues and my westie in particular had aggression issues. I attended an animal behavourist and one of the suggestions she made was to change their diet to one that had a low protein content((she suggested 'Burns '21% protein,) as domesticated dogs did not require a higher level and it could in fact make them hyper.

She was a vet who had completed a three year study of wolves and at that time was teaching animal behaviour at Edinburgh University.One difference I noticed almost immediately was that my basset no longer snored!!!!!!
I know there are many varied opinions on this subject, but as I paid £100 for the consultation I took her advice!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just wondering what age snickers is. When I got my guy at 18months he was extremely active. By the age of approximately 21/2 he had calmed down considerably and developed a love affair with his bed!
Snickers is 1 week shy of 6 months. She had her spouts of psycho dog where she would be a real bitch (she's a female dog, but I mean the other :p) early on, but I'm not 100% sure if that was the puppy in her or the food. She's had a love affair with soft things since day 1! She loves the sofa and my bed and I bought a plush bed for each room of the house so she can be my shadow (her #2 favorite things next to belly rubs).

FWIW, Both my dogs were rescues and my westie in particular had aggression issues. I attended an animal behavourist and one of the suggestions she made was to change their diet to one that had a low protein content((she suggested 'Burns '21% protein,) as domesticated dogs did not require a higher level and it could in fact make them hyper.
She's been on Orijen for 3 weeks (first week was about 50%/50% Orijen and Iams. She definitely is not hyper as you can see by my original post. I don't think there has been as much controversy of dog food since people started discussing politics and religion. :whistle:

I posted some info Orijen sent me here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts