Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Maltese/Shitzu/Pomeranian cross called Charlie, is about 7 months old. He is an amazing jumper! Of course, it's a bit frustrating, as we put boards up to keep them out of certain rooms and he just jumps them... But anyway. I was wondering hwo you go about teaching a dog to do highjump? I presume there are dofferent classes for different size dogs?

He is tiny, weighs about 3kg, and has jumped as high as my waist height.

·
Registered
146 Posts
DO NOT TEACH HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is way too young to learn to jump, it is bad for his bones! :) Wait until he's at least a year (longer with larger dogs). I have a pup who is also a natural jumper and just SAILS over baby gaits (argh) so yeah they may do it on their own, but certainly try to limit it and never encourage it yet.

I've never heard of teaching a dog to high jump, other than seeing some try for a record... is that popular in Australia? Interesting! :) But you would basically start off (once your pup is old enough) with small jumps and gradually increase the height over time.

Is it the pup in your avatar? So cute! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's his brother, they look nothing alike! Charlie looks like a Chihauha.

Don't stress, not planning on doing anything for a fair while, haven't even started obedience classes yet :] He gets roused on when he jumps the barriers we put up lol.

Yeah they do it at a lot of agricultural shows. Often up to the back of a ute, then they ad poles to make it higher.

I'm actually think they might both go ok at flyball when they are olde,r they have recently taught themselves how to fetch, its so cute. The ball is only just small enough for them to pick up!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well then his brother is adorable, and I'm sure he is, too :)

That's neat that they do that! Flyball always seemed fun to me, just not enough time in the day to get into that! Maybe someday :) Good luck with your "kids" in whatever you do! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts