Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)
My lil man is having issues with when it time for me to leave for work and time for him to go in his kennel he's taking off and hiding under the bed... Any suggestions ?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Clearly he does not like the kennel, and/or is also anxious about you leaving. Ditto Blue's suggestion to go on a crate training campaign!

·
Registered
383 Posts
ITA with the above. Right now, for your dog, crate = bad ---- the key is to work towards making the crate have a positive association for him, making it a place he WANTS to go. Is he crated only when you leave? What is your crating procedure/routine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would it be an idea to completely restart the crate training? I would start with some good excercise, and re-affirming the crate as a positive place from there. Is your dog responsive to treats or toys? Use these to your advantage! Don't bever close the kennel door when your dog has just about entered the kennel. Sit with the animal after it has entered and wait for it to relax. Then and only then close the door gently and go about your own business. After a while, allow the dog to walk out of the kennel and restart the procedure. Never force the animal inside the kennel and never do this excercise when you are in a rush :) good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts