Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I would love to introduce ya'll to Trucker, my rescue baby. When I first saw my big man online he was posted as a Redbone/Lab Mix but when I adopted him the rescue had decided that the NC kill shelter had not only labeled his breed but his age wrong (they had said 4 or 5 when he is 2). I have confirmed with the AKC Redbone club and they too believe Trucker is a pure Redbone and about 2yrs old.

What do you guys think pure redbone?

This is this picture I saw when I picked him out:

Also, I would love any advice you guys can give on helping Trucker come out of his shell. He is so scared of everything (men and strangers especially). This sweet baby chose me to trust with his safety and I don't want to do anything to damage that trust. He has quite a few scars on his inside of his back legs that look like he was whipped (who does that). But I don't really know anything of his past since he was found wandering the woods of NC.

P.S. he has a cat brother Galileo (Leo) that he loves to "tree" up the cat tree :)

Here are the pictures: Trucker the Redbone Coonhound

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome! he looks purebred to me too and he is gorgeous. I have a huge soft spot for hounds.

As for him being scared: time, time and more time, and some patience, and some more time, and some food, and well some more time.

Our Afghan hound was a total spastic mess when we got her. Everything frightened her and she'd have full blown panic attacks. She's scream and pee herself! She is almost like a normal dog now.

Once I got her comfortable with everyone living in the house (which took about three weeks) I started to take her out to the front yard and we'd just sit and people watch for hours while I talked to her and fed her treats.

I tried really hard not to push her too much and let her go at a pace she felt comfortable with. Hounds have a different kind of intelligence than other breeds and generally have to come around to thinking something was their idea first!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@DobisHoundis I am thinking he is someone attempt at a hunting dog that went wrong. He "trees" his brother the cat up the cat tree all the time, they think it is a game. On a side note you babies are beautiful.
@K9Chaos Thank You, I know I thought he was from the moment I saw his shelter picture. When he first came home when someone would knock on the door it was a disaster, now he knows he has a safe place in his crate or under the bed. He is really good with me (I am the only human in the house) but then again he truly picked me from the start. When I met Trucker he was huddled laying in a corner at an adoption event shaking and wouldn't move, when I just sat next to him he decided he could sit with his head on my shoulder then take a walk around (I knew from that moment on he was my dog). I am just trying to ensure I have at least one back-up person he is comfortable with if I ever need someone to watch him or let him out.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
what a georgeous dog! so sorry to hear how he was treated in past life and so happy he knew who he could trust and reach out to you

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 5 of 5 Posts