Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i train my puppy ??? there are no dog school where i live ....my puppy is two and a half month old he is a chocolate lab ....and i have been feeding him royal cannin with milk 5 times a day he is responding well to it n growing fast ...i also give him calcium supplement daily ...is anything else i need to knw ? n plz do tell me how do i train him ....

thxs

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Labs are relatively easy to train. Like most of the hunting breeds they want to do everything to please their owner. Positive reinforcement is the best training for a young pup. As far as potty training. I keep a close eye on puppies when I am home and watch their behavior. You should have a problem seeing the pup looking for a spot, because labs are nothing like my hounds, who have their noses permanently attached to the ground. Once you see them looking for a spot run them outside and let them go. I also crate train for when I am off doing something. Dogs will generally not poop or pee where they sleep/stay, unless they can't hold it. I have never paper trained or pad trained simply because I don't want my Sunday paper to end with a pile on it before I read it.

Remember positive reinforcement, perseverance, and a lot of excitable "thats a Good boy".

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Stop doing something?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Isn't milk not good for dogs?

As for training I agree with what Crio said, what do you want the puppy TO DO?

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Milk is fine for dogs-so long as they don't get sick and are not lactose intolerant (some dogs are just like people) but it's a myth that you can't give grown dogs dairy (or grown cats for that matter) :)

Cruiserinc-what do you want your dog to stop doing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he keep on bitting my denim ...i want him to stop ...i give him diffrent things to bite but he still wanna chew my denim ....n i also want him to stop chasing people when i say stop

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
it is in the dogs nature to chase things that run from him. if you get the people to stop moving he shouldn't chase them. then you can divert his attention to something he can have. you should be teaching some basic stuff like sit and come. you can also use those commands (once he know them well) to get him to stop doing things. instead of chasing someone, you ask him to sit for people and he gets a cookie...if the people don't move, he won't be rewarded for chasing and if he gets rewarded for sitting nicely, eventually he will prefer to do what he gets rewarded for.

"chewing [your] denim"? do you mean biting your pant legs? everytime he does this, give him something he can have, every time, don't confuse him by letting him do it sometimes and not others. praise him for playing with the right toy, or better yet, play with him with the toy and make it a very fun game for him....the more you show him how fun his toys are, by giving him the "life reward" of playing with him, with the toys, the more he'll want to play with the toys rather than things he can't have.

remember that he is still a baby, so he is learning everything, he doesn't already know all the rules, and the best way to teach him the rules is to show him what you want him to do rather than punishing him for what you don't want him to do.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts