Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I've been posting here for a few weeks now, I thought I'd take a moment to officially introduce myself. :)

I'm Becky, and hail from the rural-suburbs of Chicago (yeah, that's really a thing, lol). My day job consists of software support and training, which has me traveling every other month or so. My heart job is something I continue to grow and is in the metaphysical realm (crystals, energy work, jewelry/art crafting).

I have a 5 y/o Australian Kelpie-Setter-Newfoundland mix named Riley that I adopted when he was about 4.5 months old. He was basically feral when they found him, running with a pack of stray-feral dogs in KY, but the rescue that I got him from scooped him up and worked with him for about a month and a half before we snatched him up. He has a lot of issues, mostly with fear-aggression towards humans, and I bring to the forum my experience and sympathy with all that goes with that.

Just three weeks ago we brought home our second dog, an Australian Cattle Dog we named Ember. She is actually what brought me to the forum. She's somewhere between 6-8 months old and is headstrong and defiant. But, she is also incredibly loving and so full of curiosity. It's been such a joy these last few weeks watching her experience new things. We don't have any background on her at all... the rescue had actually just gotten her two days before we met and fell in love. But from just observing her I feel like she was likely born on a ranch to be a farm dog, raised in a barn with a family that had small children (she LOVES kids), and ultimately turned in to the shelter either because they didn't have time or they didn't feel she'd make a good helper on the farm. Whatever the reason, she's made her way to our home now, where she is learning how to be a family house dog.

I was raised with dogs and cats, and have never had a period of time where I didn't have at least one. As I've gotten older, and through my experiences having Riley, I've gotten to be pretty good with reading animal behavior, and would love to become a certified trainer. Ember has been my challenge and even though she can be frustrating, I welcome it as she is teaching me new behaviors and how to approach them.

So far I really love the support on this forum. There is SO much knowledge here! I hope that my posts so far have proven to be helpful as well, and I am grateful for all the support I've gotten from my own pleas for help, lol.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Welcome :) Riley and Ember sound like quite the pair! They're both very cute!

Reactions: storms226

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome!

We're probably not too far apart, then, since I'm up in Wisconsin! :) Your pups are super cute!

Reactions: storms226
1 - 3 of 3 Posts