Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our rescue beagle for about a year (she is almost 2). House training has been our biggest challenge. She is an anxious and scared dog with an unknown history. She holds her pee for a long time (24 hours plus). In the mornings I take her out on her leash (we don't have a fence) and she won't go. We go through a pattern of going out and coming in and her whining at the door...only to not go. It's getting very frustrating for me. She also won't pee and poop in the same trip outside. I do give her a small treat after she goes potty. I have thought about getting an invisible fence so I can have more peaceful mornings! Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Please, please do not use an invisible fence, on any dog but especially not on a nervous dog. The last thing she needs is something else to be unpleasant, it will just be one more thing to be afraid of.

It is possible (likely, even) that in the past she has been scolded or punished for toileting in the house. That makes dogs nervous of toileting in front of people - they think they have been punished for toileting rather than toileting indoors.

When she toilets outside, don't just give her a small treat, go absolutely nuts with praise and make it rain tiny pieces of something fabulous like roast chicken or frankfurter sausage. Toilet training happens when the dog wants to hold her toilet for this fabulous reward so it has to be generous to make it worth her while and it has to be immediate so that it is clearly for toileting and not for anything else such as coming to you.

So, I wouldn't suggest even erecting a normal fence, never mind an electric one, because you need to be with her to reward her. I'm afraid it is just going to be about patience but hopefully raising the reward will speed things up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will try that. Do you think a longer leash would be helpful? I was thinking about getting a retractable leash and just sitting and drinking my coffee during potty time =)

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Yes, definitely worth trying a longer leash.

Dogs have an invisible radius of space around them called flight distance. Anything in that space triggers their fight or flight stress response that you may have heard of so I'd say that giving her more space could be really helpful.

Just a safety issue, if you use a long or retractable leash to walk her, only ever attach it to a harness, never a collar because when she is running she won't know when she is going to reach the end, and the sudden stop can do a lot of damage if you are just using a collar. And never use it in traffic areas, the lock can fail.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
If she is pulling, the Mekuti harness gets good reviews.

Also, dogs and other animals (us too) have an instinct to pull away from any restraint - google Oppositional Reflex if you want to read the science behind it. So, it is sometimes necessary to train a dog to ease back instead if pull away when on leash.

Have a look at this video to see how.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts