Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At random moments during the day and evening pup will chew on his back paws. At first we thought it might be a grooming thing as he likes to spend a lot of time in the garden, but we've noticed he puts his entire paw, up to about 2-3 inches in his mouth and chews on it. It's not a gentle chewing either, sometimes he makes himself yelp. It doesn't appear to deter him though. We have checked but he hasn't drawn blood or broken the skin... yet. o_O

Is it normal for pups to do this, or is it a behavioural thing.? I've had young dogs before but they've not noticeably chewed on themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At random moments during the day and evening pup will chew on his back paws. At first we thought it might be a grooming thing as he likes to spend a lot of time in the garden, but we've noticed he puts his entire paw, up to about 2-3 inches in his mouth and chews on it. It's not a gentle chewing either, sometimes he makes himself yelp. It doesn't appear to deter him though. We have checked but he hasn't drawn blood or broken the skin... yet. o_O

Is it normal for pups to do this, or is it a behavioural thing.? I've had young dogs before but they've not noticeably chewed on themselves.
my dog did that she actually self groomed her back nails. never to the point she hurt her self however.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well... I don't even have a guess for you. On the up-side you can make a Facebook meme with a picture of him doing this. With the right caption it will go viral! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does that and I think at times of stress.
So to be extra cautious, i wash his arms or legs with a proper dog flee/tick wash, and whenever i see him chew, I tell him that chewing is bad.
He knows words. They all do.
At one time when he was younger, I had to cone him to stop him. I worked 2 FT jobs for a few months, he didn't get his normal love.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts