Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wow I haven’t been on this forum since April! We’ve been through so much with Floki (1 year old American bulldog) He’s enjoyed and successfully passed many training classes and he’s such a good and happy dog at all times. I feel I like he will always have some sort of ailment though, the poor guy has been to the vet more times than any animal I’ve ever had combined. As a pup he had allergies (none since), cleared that up then we had him neutered (went well), a month later, back to the vet for what seemed like an eye infection, turned out to be entropion (2 eye surgeries later and he’s great) NOW, he has a herniated disc. I’m so heartbroken and don’t have a clue how it happened. Luckily, it’s very minor (if a back injury can be minor?) He had started limping after vigorous hikes and exercise off and on in both hind legs. We wrote it off as playing too rough and rest for a few days before the next hike. Two months have passed with it happening more and more. Hip dysplasia came to mind so we took him to the vet yesterday. Turns out it’s a herniated disc. Vet does not recommend surgery at this point and no meds. He says if the pain progresses or worsens then we can think about medicine, for now use Tylenol on his bad days, and by no means quit exercising him (although maybe not so many zoomies-he loves zoomies!) I’ve ordered Vetri-Disk for dogs after reading the raving reviews. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I needed to come here to vent and update. We love this guy so much and knowing he may face a lifetime of pain at a very young age breaks my heart.
Hope everyone is doing well...I need to catch up on some posts now!
Thanks, Kim.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Depending on severity, they can heal from a herniated disc. Ours had that before she was two years, she healed with conservative treatment, did use steroids to reduce inflammation. She is now almost 10, so far so good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is such a relief to hear! Thanks. Vet did say time is the only factor right now. I just know that time doesn’t regrow a new disc. It’s very hard keeping this guy calm. I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Where ours had the injury, X-rays now show some calcification between those vertebrae, but it does not seem to bother her. She is a happy dog, and just her being there makes us happy. There are, of course, never guarantees in medicine, but I hope your guy does as well as our girl has with the disc issue. We are now fighting an auto-immune issue with her, she has been under treatment by a neurologist for about five months, now. She has fortunately responded and at least for now is doing well. She was just taken off all meds early this week, so we have our fingers crossed she does not relapse. Neurologist tells us, some never do, some do. We know which group we want her to be part of.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aw, well my fingers are crossed for her too. Never fun seeing our fur babies go through stuff like that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. Put Floki on Vetri-Disc pills (over the counter on amazon) He is a whole new dog. He’s been on them maybe 6-7 months now, I cannot believe the change!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts