Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
umm...so yeah...a girl walked in...set down a plastic container with a hermit crab in it and went to her car and sped away...

She was kind enough to leave a mostly empty container of food...:::rollseyes:::

so um...yeah...I have a hermit crab now....I put food in a dish and he rocked out on it. His container is way to small and had only sand in it.

anyone had one of these things before? We used to have them at petco/petsmart but its been years since I cared for one. Its one of the larger species.

oh yeah and what the heck is wrong with people???? We sell reptiles, not crustateans, and she didn't even say anything, she practically peeled out in the parking lot.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
umm...so yeah...a girl walked in...set down a plastic container with a hermit crab in it and went to her car and sped away...

She was kind enough to leave a mostly empty container of food...:::rollseyes:::

so um...yeah...I have a hermit crab now....I put food in a dish and he rocked out on it. His container is way to small and had only sand in it.

anyone had one of these things before? We used to have them at petco/petsmart but its been years since I cared for one. Its one of the larger species.

oh yeah and what the heck is wrong with people???? We sell reptiles, not crustateans, and she didn't even say anything, she practically peeled out in the parking lot.
Found this good website HERMIT-CRABS.COM. Your hermit crab care headquarters! it says got crabs at the bottom LOL

I don't get the drop and run crap, that happened to a pregnant staffy who was unfortunately PTS'd because we could not find a rescue to take her pups and our clinic couldn't hold onto her overnight and literally 5 mins after the dr made the decision a rescue called and said they could take her....the dr broke down crying and so did almost everybody there...5 f'in minutes...the owners could have taken the damn time to find someone to take her! Sorry for the rant.

I honestly don't think people care about non mammals, thinking they don't have feelings and can't feel or starve. That reminds me I gotta feed my snake tomorrow LOL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.. I'll read it after I post.

I went to petco and got more food for him, I wanted to get him little bowls with ramps and a sponge for water and they didn't have ANYTHING. Aaaaaand of course no one available to help me...Figures. They did however carry like five brands of food...which was wierd.

So I set him up in a bigger critter keeper with food/water bowls that are waaay to big...but it will have to do for tonight.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
oh my...its what I thought...hes one of the "salt water required species" fuuuuun....

He also needs different bedding...and a heat mat...oh yeah and friends because they are social...

he also need new shells, but I don't know where to get shells that are so big, the one hes in is three inches across.

nothing like a hundred dollar free crab.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Ahhh!! My friend's daughter LOVES them (looked after the school's crabs for years) and now has three.

They need a dish that has fresh (Bottled) water, a dish with salt water. The tank needs to be misted with bottled water a few times a day to keep it moist.

They eat all kinds of things-besides their hermit crab food -they need fruits and veggies and meat (gross) I think her's likes chicken and bacon-but I could be wrong. Definitely lettuce, strawberries, banana etc.

Also they are supposed to have extra shells laying around for when they change size-and they molt their skin.

And that's all I know! Good luck!!

(Agreed-what is wrong with people???)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this thing needs more care than my lawn.... I have to rummage through my fish stuff and see if I still have a bag of saltwater mix.

I knew about the fruit...interesting about the meat...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
From the linky above

"
The best diet for a land hermit crab is basically what you feed yourself (with the exclusion of highly-processed foods and sugary snacks, of course). Land hermit crabs are omnivorous and therefore eat just about anything. You can feed them meat, fish, vegetables and fruit (yes even citrus fruit!). Crabs also like tannin-rich foods, such as oak leaves and tree bark. Before giving your crabs these things as food, make sure they are thoroughly cleaned by washing in water (no soap) and allowed to dry -- crabs like their leaves crunchy. "

Gross-they totally do eat meat :p

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Mr. Crab Friend is gone. I found him a wonderful new home where he will be the only pet and get the attention/care he needs. Thanks again everyone.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahah,so they got the crab home...it drank a ton of salt water and then went into a MOLT! so basically its going to hide for the next FOUR WEEKS... she was kind happy and sad at the same time...aparently they wont molt unless conditions are right, but now she can't see him!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
LOL "it drank a ton of salt water and then went into a MOLT!"

That's great you found him a home!! :) Success!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts