Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Angus is a great dog. And he LOVES to make new friends, but the problem is, he nips them. On their rear/tail/back legs. It's not hard, but it scares and agitates the other dogs. I know he has some sort of herding dog in him (he looks like the spaniel half, however), but any advice as to stop this behavior? I feel bad for scolding him because he's not doing it to be mean, and I think it's instinct, but I'm afraid it's going to get him bitten. I introduced him to Jasper yesterday and poor Jasper didn't know what to think of this new dog nipping his behind. I think it actually kind of scared him. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's kind of a difficult behavior to remove, considering that it's in the breed.

However, I got few tips.

First off, you will need to train your dog to ' come ' and ' lay down ' and if you are good with that, ' Heel command '.

If you need advice to teach that, ask :p

However, if he already knows that. Bring treats when you know you will meat a dog. When he is going to nip an other dog, call him back immediately. When he is by your side, ask him to lay down. Give him a treat if he obey. When he is calm again, let him go with the command ' Okay go play ' or something like that. If he does it again, repeat the step.

He will soon understand that when he nip, he can't play anymore. :p But this may takes a while.

Good luck !

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There are classes specifically made to teach a dog to herd properly, most have started using clicker training to begin it and they show you how to allow the dog to herd or how to call off a herd. I think it would best to invest time into basic obedience to make sure you are able to have your dog listen to be able to call them off a dog when they try to herd.

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
Herding dogs generally do not bite... It is probably not herding, this is most-likely hunting. (A lot of people want to think it's herding because it sounds better than hunting) In my dog's case it was hunting. They grab the back leg to take the other dog down.. and Zoe has. Before I got her under control she took down my friend's great dane.. by yanking her back leg out from under her. I made my dog wear a basket muzzle for a while until I got her trained better. She could still play but she couldn't grab anyone.

I worked really hard on her recall and if she would get too amped up she couldn't play anymore until she was calm. Also recalling her back to me frequently for breaks and the being released to go back to playing helped a lot, too.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Herding dogs generally do not bite... It is probably not herding, this is most-likely hunting. (A lot of people want to think it's herding because it sounds better than hunting) In my dog's case it was hunting. They grab the back leg to take the other dog down.. and Zoe has. Before I got her under control she took down my friend's great dane.. by yanking her back leg out from under her. I made my dog wear a basket muzzle for a while until I got her trained better. She could still play but she couldn't grab anyone.

I worked really hard on her recall and if she would get too amped up she couldn't play anymore until she was calm. Also recalling her back to me frequently for breaks and the being released to go back to playing helped a lot, too.

I agree completely, this is less herding and more hunting behavior. Especially if its being done during play.

I agree with the suggestion to call her off, and have her calm down a bit, before allowing her to play again. Work on recall, and leave it too.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

He doesn't bite/pull. He nibbles (Can't think of any other way to put it). lol. I've only seen this behavior twice, and the first time was with my boyfriend's 10 year old lab. She got pretty upset with him because she's grumpy and doesn't like his puppy behavior.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
He doesn't bite/pull. He nibbles (Can't think of any other way to put it). lol. I've only seen this behavior twice, and the first time was with my boyfriend's 10 year old lab. She got pretty upset with him because she's grumpy and doesn't like his puppy behavior.

Either way same solution, during play its a sign of over excitement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts