Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :) I'm very motivated to start transitioning my animals from using chemical pest control for my animals, and moving to herbal and/or essential oil pest control.

do ya'll have suggestions for products that acutally work.. (yay!) and products that (sadly) definitely don't work :(

thinking of trying Neem Oil (Richard's Organics), Only Natural Pet essential oil spot squeeze on, Only Natural Pet herbal flea collar, Only Natural Pet heartworm oral oil, an ultrasonic tick tag on the actual animals and food grade Diatomaceous Earth and Wondercide (or another) cedar spray in the yard/house...

any product suggestions and honest reviews of products would be great thank you! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Natural Flea Spray from Natural Chemistry. Very inexpensive on Amazon. It contains cinnamon oil, clove oil and cedarwood oil. I first got it for a very, very young kitten and now use it on my dogs, too. If you do a search for natural flea control you will find loads of information on what to use and how to make your own.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I use Halo Herbal Dip. There are various ways to use it; dab a little on a cloth collar, mix with shampoo, or dilute with water and mist on.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Natural doesn't mean safe and it sure doesn't mean effective. Many essential oils can be toxic as can herbal concoctions. Check with your vet if your dog takes any sort of medications as there can be bad interactions with some herbal products.

Diatomaceous earth is a somewhat effective flea control. You can use it on pets and sprinkle it around the house and yard. You want food grade.

Beneficial nematodes are good for controlling fleas and ticks in the yard.You have to use them according to the instructions.

I would avoid the cedar spray.

Just my opinion but relying on something that has not been shown to be effective for heartworm is putting your dog's life at risk.
There is no “Natural” or “Holistic” Heartworm Prevention or Treatment Proven to be Safe and Effective | The SkeptVet

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I live in the deep south and heartworms are so prevalent down here that I'd not use anything other then a product that I know for certain works. Heartworms are not simply pest, they are not like intestinal worms that can be gotten rid of with relative ease. They are deadly and the treatment to get rid of them is harsh and potentially deadly and can cost hundreds of dollars. The preventative for them is generally safe, I used one on my old dog, monthly, for 17 years and he never had any adverse effects from it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Grabby certainly has a good point… natural certainly does not necessarily mean safe, and definitely does not necessarily mean effective (and so far, few, if any have been shown to be effective). I work emergency and have seen a number of cats that have been treated with essential oils and were in terrible shape. Please do not use them on your cats! Dogs have a somewhat higher tolerance for them, but they are very irritating (not to mention useless for flea prevention). Neem oil (have you dealt with it?) is a very gooey substance (I have used it on plants) but it certainly is not something you want to apply to a furry creature… will make a horrible mess. Not to mention would be a poor repellent for fleas and useless for heart worm prevention. If you live in a heart worm area, as mentioned, you do NOT want to mess with them… heart worm infections can easily be fatal, and are incredibly easy to prevent with the right monthly preventatives. The treatment is not only costly, but very toxic and dangerous (some treated animals die from the arsenic used to treat the worms).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts