Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chess is my 7 year old JRT/Beagle. In most ways, she's a great dog. Loves people, great on and off leash and with most other animals, knows many tricks, perfect in the house.

But over the years her fear aggressiveness has just gotten out of hand. It's to the point that it's putting her in danger. When she was young, she was extensively socialized. She always had major fear issues, but we worked through them. The first time she saw a big dog, she literally took off screaming in fear. But over time she got much better and even had a few big dogs she was very comfortable with. Although still scared sometimes, she never ever acted out in an aggressive manner until at least 2-3 years of age. Even then it was only if a dog really crossed the line and was rude to her, just a quick snap to get them to back off.

She's never really liked playing with other dogs, but it was just ignoring them. Over the last couple years she's gotten really bad with other dogs, to the point that she can't even do a polite meet and greet. She also resource guards me like nobodys business, but it's out of fear. I live on a farm and we see other dogs all the time. Yesterday a mastiff, a black lab mix and a saint Bernard mix tried to come near me and she just went after all of them. She's met them all before. Luckily they all just ignore it. She is much more noise/snarling than bite, but absolutely will fight if the other dog fights back.
Currently we have to keep her and my roommates GSD separated at all times because they just can't get along.

I've accepted that she's never going to enjoy other dogs a lot, but I need to teach her to just ignore other dogs and not resource guard me for her own safety. I've read several books but would appreciate if anyone has any tips or exercises for this. We have worked with a trainer on and off and will continue to do so. I'm also considering putting her on anxiety meds, because she's so scared and anxious the majority of the time, and it's really sad. Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
This is a good resource for working with reactive dogs:
Care for Reactive Dogs

Also until it is under control I would suggest a Muzzle in situations where she will encounter other dogs, this is for her own safety as you never know if another dog will take her snarling, growling, and snapping personally and fight back.

This is an awesome resource for conditioning your dog to a muzzle:
Home – The Muzzle Up! Project

1 - 2 of 2 Posts