Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
If you wish to add a video or article to this thread, please send a private message to a DogForum Team Member.

These are some great videos to help with all types of training we all can do with our dogs. :)

I know these are just a few of the great videos out there so if anyone has another video they would like to post, please let us know! :)

Any articles/videos that promote dangerous/harmful techniques will not be posted:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/training-please-read-before-posting-4330/

How to stop excessive barking.

Teaching the "leave it" command.

This video demonstrates how to teach the "drop it" command.

Training a dog to heel.

Stop puppies biting.

How to stop a dog jumping up.

How to train your dog to "lie down".

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
That "Go Wild and Freeze" is pretty much what I'm doing with Wally now and didn't know it. I guess I'm going on the right track then! :)

Here's one using shaping to increase how much your dog likes his crate:

An article about shaping:
dog clicker training shaping

And at the risk of seeming pretentious, here's an article I wrote about how Wally and I first go into shaping and how I learned to do it and coax Wally into it.
Exploits of an Amateur Dog Trainer: Volume 15 - Fostering Creativity Through Shaping

And one about Operant and Classical Conditioning
Exploits of An Amateur Dog Trainer: Volume 4 - Tactics of Training

They were written from Wally and my viewpoint, but they cover and are about the overall principles as well. I'll remove them if you want, though.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Some of this will be a bit of a repeat from some of the other stickies, but here is what I have been reading and watching this week. :)

Dominance Theory and how dogs actually learn

Teaching a puppy to take food gently:

Teaching a dog to love baths

Training a puppy to get along with a cat

Teaching a dog to enjoy nail clippings

Yoshi plays Look at That from Control Unleashed:

Before

During (not really "after" since he's still reactive)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Videos for working on dog reactivity...

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
these videos are a really great illustration of the difference between using PR type methods and compulsion type methods:

notice that she isn't being "mean" or "harsh" with the cockroach, she is however poking it with the straw, to get it to go where she wants. and you can tell it is doing so to AVOID the straw

now in this video:

can you see how much smoother the roach moves through the different obstacles? at the end, it even keeps going to the hurdles, on it's own, after doing the teeter-totter...

anyway, i find these videos to be a great illustration of the difference between getting an animal to do something by making them avoid something and convincing the animal to do it to get something they want...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
894 Posts
tab289's Channel - YouTube

Hi. Another member posted this link on a thread and I've been really impressed by how sensible, kind and calm this guy is and the results he gets are amazing.

He is working with a young dog, not a puppy, so hopefully it will be useful for both puppy owners and people who find themselves needing to train an older dog - eg if adopted.

Here's one on walking with a loose leash.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
A very easy way to teach sits, downs, and stay at a distance. :)
Dogs do need to understand these cues before you can do this though!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.