Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I’m a new trainer and am currently training this dog who is a rescue. She’s 3 and I’ve known her since she was 8 months. She has always been shy around people but has gotten a lot better over the past year. But I’m currently training her for the Canine good citizen test and one of the items is being able to be pet without showing fear or resentment. She’s really only food motivated but ever since she got a sibling she’s started resource guarding so I’m not sure how to desensitize and counter condition her to being pet by people without her Getting possessive over the treats and snipping at people. She’s a mix of a bunch of things (we were told she’s a border collie but she doesn't have any herding instincts and isn’t even moderately high energy). Let me know! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
It sounds to me as if CGC training is a bit too advanced for this dog, and you should take more time with her working on getting her relaxed and comfortable with people before you go into that.

Having said that, to address your question:
I am not clear on how or why the treats are a problem here. Do you have treats in your hands when you are trying to train her? If so, don't. Put the treats in a treat bag and keep it at your back, not in front. Or into a pocket, but always out of sight or reach of the dog.

If she is getting petted, make sure it is not ever on the top of the head (dogs usually hate that) and that the touch only lasts 5 seconds at most, then the person moves away. Do not let the other person have food on them, and don't treat her until you move away from the person. And if she is shying away from being touched in the first place, then you need to work on that alone for some time before you start training for CGC.

At the same time, start to work on her resource guarding in other settings, such as with the other dog. Never feed those dogs near each other; put one in a completely different room with the doors closed so there's never a reason for her to feel as though she needs to guard her food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts