Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Great Dane female a couple months over 1 year old. She is extremely loving towards all people and use to be dogs. We moved to a new apartment complex about 2 and a half months ago. Since the move she has become aggressive towards other dogs. There is one female pit bull about 8 months old that she is fine around depending on the day.

This aggression is shown by growling, lunging, and barking to get to the other dog. Sometimes her tail is wagging and most not. When she has came into contact with another dog we were trying to get them to meet and she pinned the other dog and stood over her. Did not go to bite or attack but just stood over her. The other time there was a blue heeler that they never put on a leash that will chase other dogs and will even come up on people and growl at them. One night I was taking my girl out to potty and the owner of that dog let his dogs out off the leash again and it came full speed at us and went for my girl. My girl put her mouth on the back of her neck and pinned her to the ground didn't bite down, try to tear, or draw blood.

What do I need to do??? To add all the dogs around us are smaller and females. My girl has also been in heat the past almost month.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I imagine her being in heat is the biggest factor. Are you going to get her fixed? Sooner the better in most regards, but I'm also not sure about what 'too early' is for a Dane. Moving house has probably also made her a bit unsure & defensive.

And the situation with the heeler... sounds like the dog deserved it, and she 'told' him in a no nonsense & fair way! I wouldn't actually want to stop her doing that at all. Regarding doing it to all dogs though, of course that's inappropriate, but I'd suggest you find a good trainer or behaviourist to help you - aggression is one of those things I think hands-on help is imperative for.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Great Dane female a couple months over 1 year old. She is extremely loving towards all people and use to be dogs. We moved to a new apartment complex about 2 and a half months ago. Since the move she has become aggressive towards other dogs. There is one female pit bull about 8 months old that she is fine around depending on the day.

This aggression is shown by growling, lunging, and barking to get to the other dog. Sometimes her tail is wagging and most not. When she has came into contact with another dog we were trying to get them to meet and she pinned the other dog and stood over her. Did not go to bite or attack but just stood over her. The other time there was a blue heeler that they never put on a leash that will chase other dogs and will even come up on people and growl at them. One night I was taking my girl out to potty and the owner of that dog let his dogs out off the leash again and it came full speed at us and went for my girl. My girl put her mouth on the back of her neck and pinned her to the ground didn't bite down, try to tear, or draw blood.

What do I need to do??? To add all the dogs around us are smaller and females. My girl has also been in heat the past almost month.
For sure being in heat may have much to do with it -- I had a show Dane years ago that also went from the sweetest gal to a b-t-h :) when she went into heat. She became extremely resource aggressive during that time where I couldn't even hold her food bowl for her, to steady it -- any other time, not a problem! As a Dane owner, I never neutered them before a year old to allow for full development and most Dane's go into their first heat much later in life than most dogs (usually around a year old) so it is good that you waited; but after she settles back in again (takes about a month for the entire process) it would make sense to have her spayed then before she goes into heat again (in about 6-8 months). Un-spayed females can be just as cranky as un-nuetered males and it isn't good for a dog that size to be cranky. :) :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts