Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10.year old GSD has been biting his feet till almost bleeding! He is eating taste Of the wild dog food after a switch from Science diet about 6 weeks ago. Allergies seem to be getting worse not better. He is taking benadryl up to twice a day now per vet. Not helping his feet!! Any suggestions??

·
Registered
434 Posts
Maybe a cone until the feet heal up? Dogs tend to lick at wounds and it will not heal up if you can't stop him from licking the area. Why the change in diet?

·
Registered
368 Posts
as mentioned above, may not be diet related (and statistically, it is NOT diet related). Benadryl is a fairly wimpy and often useless drug in canines. When it works, that's great, but it is also rare. Most canine allergies do not respond to any antihistamines at all. You will probably have to try a different approach, though cleaning the feet regularly with a soothing shampoo is not a bad suggestion (though I would avoid 'scrubbing' the feet). If he is chewing to the point of bleeding, a temporary cone may be necessary while other meds can take effect (Apoquel, oral or topical cortisone, topical cleansing etc.).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a vet Appointment on Thursday so hopefully I can get it figured out. He had been an outside dog up until a month ago until I moved, and he spends most of the time inside now. When we r at home and at night. Working on all day, but he gets stressed being in new place without someone around. Could it be stress related?? His ears r bad as well. Very itchy.. I thought about a come as well

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a vet Appointment on Thursday so hopefully I can get it figured out. He had been an outside dog up until a month ago until I moved, and he spends most of the time inside now. When we r at home and at night. Working on all day, but he gets stressed being in new place without someone around. Could it be stress related?? His ears r bad as well. Very itchy.. I thought about a come as well
Do you think he may have fleas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think so. Had some flea stuff that is suppose to last 3 months from.vet. and has Ben to groomer, who did not see any fleas. Said coat was dry..

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It could be stress. Are there other signs of stress? Does he bark while alone? Get into things? Chew things? Is he getting the same amount of physical and mental exercise he was before the move?

Glad he's seeing a vet to take care of the current issues with his feet and ears. Sounds like he's having a hard time right now.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't think so. Had some flea stuff that is suppose to last 3 months from.vet. and has Ben to groomer, who did not see any fleas. Said coat was dry..
If the coat/skin is dry, you can add some fish oil to the diet. Also, as far as antihistamines go, I use bee pollen on my one who has environmental allergies and it has worked wonders for him. Its worth a try for yours as well.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
as mentioned above, may not be diet related (and statistically, it is NOT diet related). Benadryl is a fairly wimpy and often useless drug in canines. When it works, that's great, but it is also rare. Most canine allergies do not respond to any antihistamines at all. You will probably have to try a different approach, though cleaning the feet regularly with a soothing shampoo is not a bad suggestion (though I would avoid 'scrubbing' the feet). If he is chewing to the point of bleeding, a temporary cone may be necessary while other meds can take effect (Apoquel, oral or topical cortisone, topical cleansing etc.).
By "scrubbing", I mean rubbing enough to be able to wash out allergens from the the skin and hair around the feet. You have to get through the hair to be sure you get all the way to the skin. Using finger tips (not nails) is plenty. That's how I bathe mine to get all the junk out all the way to the skin. It works well. No scrubbing pads, wire brushes or anything. Just to clarify....
And both bee pollen and spirulina are antihistamines that work well for dogs....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts