Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We recently got a new baby puppy, and she is tiring me out! I really don't have time to do what I like anymore, I can't really hang out with my friends. All because I have to watch my dog. She's so high maintenance. She's a pain to take care of. I know I'm gonna get a lot of responses saying "Welcome to puppyhood!" I know, I know, this is how puppies are. But I really can't stand it.
But I really don't wanna get rid of her. I love her and she's really cute and she likes to nap on me and she likes to play. But I can't handle it anymore, but I don't wanna get rid of her. WHAT SHOULD I DO!? :confused: :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You already recognize that if you keep this pup, you are going to have to put in time and effort. Of course, as she grows she won't have to go outside every half hour but there will be learning curves for you for exercise, obedience, and she will go through teething.
You can always interview and hire and pay a dog sitter if you want to go out for an evening while she is still very young, or maybe your family will help.
If you are not up for the work/responsibility is takes to live with a puppy, find her a home right away before she gets too settled in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I feel like you already know the answer to your question. There is no magic solution to your question. Dogs (Adult and puppies) require work. If you care for this dog as much as you say you'll do you find ways to make things work, for example why can't you hang out with your friends at your place whilst watching the dog? or go out with your friends to dog friendly places? or take the pup to your friends house?

If you're just keeping this pup because she's cute sometimes you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Too bad you think there is an option.

The time spent and effort put in while the pup is developing is more than paid back down the road. Good/great dogs generally don't happen on their own, there's a lot of commitment, effort and time put in by the human in the beginning at the very least.

If you can't step up to the plate and do what is required, I suggest you follow Lucille's advice and rehome the pup to someone who is up to the task.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I find it frustrating when people who already know the trials of puppyhood get a puppy anyways. An older laid-back rescue would be perfect for someone looking for more free-time who doesn't want to/can't dump all of the time, energy and resources into raising a polite and respectful puppy.

If you are unwilling to sacrifice some free-time to raise your dog, please rehome it now while there is still time for it to learn proper socialization and manners the first time around.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You answered your own question. Puppies take up a lot of a time, and they need it. As they grow you be able to leave for longer but right now your puppy needs your time and attention. Like others have said if your not up to the responsibility then find her a home that is able to care for her. Also keep in mind that while adult dogs are easier to care for in the sense that they don't need to be watched round the clock, by no means are they easy, little maintence pets either. Regardless weather you have a puppy or a adult you are going to have to sacrifice some of your free time. Just more so with a puppy. That's just what having a dog is.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Cripes...

What's going on with your dog - and what part of puppyhood is driving you nuts? Howling all night? Peeing in the house? Give some examples, maybe the crowd can help out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Help! We recently got a new baby puppy, and she is tiring me out! I really don't have time to do what I like anymore, I can't really hang out with my friends. All because I have to watch my dog. She's so high maintenance. She's a pain to take care of. I know I'm gonna get a lot of responses saying "Welcome to puppyhood!" I know, I know, this is how puppies are. But I really can't stand it.
But I really don't wanna get rid of her. I love her and she's really cute and she likes to nap on me and she likes to play. But I can't handle it anymore, but I don't wanna get rid of her. WHAT SHOULD I DO!? :confused: :(
First questions:

What part of puppyhood can't you handle?
How old is she?

Puppies should sleep 18-20 hours a day, and if you crate train her or teach her to love her playpen, that super vigilance state you find yourself in ALL the time isn't necessary. I'm raising a puppy by myself, and I experienced really nasty puppy blues to the point where the thought of returning him to the breeder crossed my mind.

Crate time really saved me. And make sure to get into a routine as fast as possible. That eliminates your worry if she has to pee, is hungry, etc. It makes it way easier to distinguish between the different whining.

Also the routine allows you to make plans. The first couple of weeks my plans were at home(except for a one and a half our dinner where he was alone, and 3 grocery trips where my brother watched him) while I was building up the courage to leave him. But there should be no reason why you cannot have friends over for a movie, or game night.

My brother had to remind me to put on my own oxygen mask, before putting on Albus' - Remember that! Your puppy will love you for sincerely being present when you play/cuddle/walk, instead of being in that worrying and anxiety filled place.

You say you don't want to rehome her, now show her you mean it;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to be frank but I think you should re-home her, soon, while she's still very young. Perhaps adopt a kitten instead? They are cute, cuddly and playful but require a LOT less time and attention and can be left alone longer and sooner. Not trying to sound mean but your pup deserves better than a Mom who is begrudgingly putting in the time - I'm sure he/she can sense and feel the resentment.
Sue

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to be frank but I think you should re-home her, soon, while she's still very young. Perhaps adopt a kitten instead? They are cute, cuddly and playful but require a LOT less time and attention and can be left alone longer and sooner. Not trying to sound mean but your pup deserves better than a Mom who is begrudgingly putting in the time - I'm sure he/she can sense and feel the resentment.
Sue

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure how old your puppy is, but is there a doggy daycare near you? Once in awhile you could give yourself a break. I know it worked wonders for our first dog, which we adopted at 3 months old. She ended up being socialized well and was the sweetest dog. (RIP). Perhaps once in awhile you could board her for a day/night just to let yourself sleep in. Also, are you able to take your puppy to the places you want to go? Take her on errands (the drive thru kind) or bring your friends with you to the dog park. Go to places where you can eat outside. Drive in movie vs a regular movie. Invite your friends over. I bet they'd love to play with your puppy. Know that if you do enough to socialize her and train her things will get better. Just some thoughts. I understand the tiredness completely, especially if you are doing it alone. Find ways for you to socialize and have your life that includes your dog if possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts