Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 8 month old Black Lab who happens to big fairly big for his age. He is 70 lbs and the size of a full grown lab. He gets excited and loves when he sees people and other dogs and is VERY friendly. I don't want to keep him crated while I am at work because I feel as if it is too long for him to be in there and he needs to get his energy out. I had enrolled him in the Petsmart doggy day camp which he loves, but they told me he happens to get overwhelmed when he first gets in the room with other dogs. Today when I went to pick him up they said that he got a "time out" for snapping at a group of dogs who were playing a little too rough with him. He has never shown any aggression before whatsoever. Should I be concerned or is this completely normal? Also, since they felt that maybe he got a little overwhelmed with the bigger dogs so after his "time out" he was was put in the room where all the small dogs are. He wound up getting another "time out" there because he got too rough with those dogs. That I could understand because he is still puppy in an adult body so he really isn't aware of his size. I'm not sure why they would put a large dog with small dogs anyway.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't really see snapping as aggression. It's the dogs way to tell the other dogs to back off. Some dogs just don't like rough play and your guy may be one of them. Given time he may calm down and not be so overwhelmed with the group. Or it just may be too much for him. Not all dogs like groups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I figured it wasn't really a big deal. He is really good with groups, but they did say that the other dogs weren't leaving him alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.