Dog Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Side effects are uncommon with the tablets but may include lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, or tiredness in dogs. In cats, side effects are very rare, but may include drooling or diarrhea.

Side effects after the injection include pain at the injection site, vomiting, diarrhea, sleepiness, drooling, decreased appetite, or staggering while walking.

Praziquantel | VCA Animal Hospital (vcacanada.com)

When getting medication for my dogs, (especially a new medication) I always opt for pill form as opposed to injections, in case of side effects.

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Side effects are uncommon with the tablets but may include lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, or tiredness in dogs. In cats, side effects are very rare, but may include drooling or diarrhea.

Side effects after the injection include pain at the injection site, vomiting, diarrhea, sleepiness, drooling, decreased appetite, or staggering while walking.

Praziquantel | VCA Animal Hospital (vcacanada.com)

When getting medication for my dogs, (especially a new medication) I always opt for pill form as opposed to injections, in case of side effects.
Do you k ow how long it lasts?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wish the vet would have mentioned this. All he said was the pill can be thrown up and the shot can’t.
One thing that I have learned through the years is to always ask about possible side effects when a vet perscribes something. Afterwards, it is also wise to google it, just for a check. My own vet is pretty good about that, but they can get busy and forget to brief us unless asked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
One thing that I have learned through the years is to always ask about possible side effects when a vet perscribes something. Afterwards, it is also wise to google it, just for a check. My own vet is pretty good about that, but they can get busy and forget to brief us unless asked.
Lesson learned big time.

·
Super Moderator
6,599 Posts
It's really important to keep her hydrated since she has bad diarrhea .
You can use something like this that will, help.
Just a word of caution on that particular flavour, I’d suggest avoiding grape as grapes are toxic for dogs.

if I need to get my dog to hydrate, I add about a table spoonful of water from a can of tuna in spring water (not oil or brine) to his normal water.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just a word of caution on that particular flavour, I’d suggest avoiding grape as grapes are toxic for dogs.

if I need to get my dog to hydrate, I add about a table spoonful of water from a can of tuna in spring water (not oil or brine) to his normal water.
!00% on that..sorry that I didn't look closer...MY VERY BAD! Thank you @JoanneF

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do you k ow how long it lasts?
Not sure, but perhaps a call to your vet to clarify?
In the meantime, perhaps consider feeding a bland diet for a few days (cooked chicken or beef (drain the fat) and rice) - something easy on the stomach and gi tract to help settle the upset.

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fed her chicken and rice and she seems to have calmed down a bit I will keep the updates coming. Also she goes to lay in her crate after the bathroom and stays there until she had to use the bathroom again, very unlike her. Want to give as much information for anyone who may also see the same in their doggos.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Fed her chicken and rice and she seems to have calmed down a bit I will keep the updates coming. Also she goes to lay in her crate after the bathroom and stays there until she had to use the bathroom again, very unlike her. Want to give as much information for anyone who may also see the same in their doggos.
It sounds as though she is becoming lethargic and/or depressed. Have you taken her temperature? Is she on meds?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It sounds as though she is becoming lethargic and/or depressed. Have you taken her temperature? Is she on meds?
Only meds were the shot and no we have not taken her temp, will do that first thing tomorrow
Sorry I missed this earlier - yes, but please make sure it is spring water and not brine. Is she well hydrated, that’s always a bit of a concern if they have digestive problems.
yes, she is drinking much water

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update. Rosie has been doing better the past few days on chicken and rice diet but still had runny poop yesterday. I am a bit concerned because she hasn’t pooped for almost 24 hours after her chicken and rice diet. I will continue to monitor.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts