Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, thanks for your assistance and advice in advance. Over the past two months Rosie Ha’s had 3 different types of worms in her stool but each time I take her sample to the vet they say it’s negative. I was hoping someone here would know what this latest one is.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
That is a tape worm segment. Send this picture to your vet as tape worms only shed the egg casings (what you are seeing) intermittently. That is why it has not shown up in a fecal check. Tape worms are acquired from the puppy ingesting fleas or rodents. Since I see that your puppy came from a rescue, she probably had fleas at one point which would explain the tape worm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a tape worm segment. Send this picture to your vet as tape worms only shed the egg casings (what you are seeing) intermittently. That is why it has not shown up in a fecal check. Tape worms are acquired from the puppy ingesting fleas or rodents. Since I see that your puppy came from a rescue, she probably had fleas at one point which would explain the tape worm.
This is the best information that I e received yet, can you be our dogs vet hahaha. I will relay this information immediately, you’re a life saver.
The worst part is, I gave them that segment in the fecal sample and they still said they were unsure what it was and ran the fecal test for $75. I’m convinced they are just out for my money.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
This is the best information that I e received yet, can you be our dogs vet hahaha. I will relay this information immediately, you’re a life saver.

The worst part is, I gave them that segment in the fecal sample and they still said they were unsure what it was and ran the fecal test for $75. I’m convinced they are just out for my money.
If this is the case, I recommend you find a different vet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If this is the case, I recommend you find a different vet.
That’s what I was thinking. I sent them the pictures after the test results and this is what they had to say;
“Hi there! I showed the pictures to the doctor and it looks like it is either a fly larva or a tapeworm. The fecal test does not test for tapeworms and the panacur medication she was on doesn't treat tapeworms, so Dr. (REDACTED FOR PRIVACY) suggests bringing Rosie in for a technician appointment to get the praziquantel injection which treats tapeworms”

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
That’s what I was thinking. I sent them the pictures after the test results and this is what they had to say;
“Hi there! I showed the pictures to the doctor and it looks like it is either a fly larva or a tapeworm. The fecal test does not test for tapeworms and the panacur medication she was on doesn't treat tapeworms, so Dr. (REDACTED FOR PRIVACY) suggests bringing Rosie in for a technician appointment to get the praziquantel injection which treats tapeworms”
This makes sense to me, so there may be no need for you to see a different vet.
some vets, my own included, will test only for the easiest and most likely thing first, and only do further tests if those do not turn up with an answer or if the medication tried doesn't work. My vet does this in order to save her clients money, rather than running the whole gamut of tests right off the bat.

On the other hand if you don't feel good about this vet, then it might be best if you go to another one.
Gut feelings count with something like this.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I got my Border Collie/Chocolate Lab cross from a ranch north of town. The people were nice but did not take care of the litter at all.
A fly larve was found, under her skin, a day later on her first visit plus she had hookworms and round worms. The damn thing was alive when it was removed by the vet.
They were easily found and treated, but afterwards I found tape worm segments in her stool. The dead giveaway was the triangular head that appeared on a few segments. They were not easy to get rid of but after a few treatments they were erradicated. It was a different pill but not an injection that was used.

Tapeworm eggs can live in the outdoor grass for a long time and do the same in indoor settings. Don't let your pup get reinfected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my Border Collie/Chocolate Lab cross from a ranch north of town. The people were nice but did not take care of the litter at all.
A fly larve was found, under her skin, a day later on her first visit plus she had hookworms and round worms. The damn thing was alive when it was removed by the vet.
They were easily found and treated, but afterwards I found tape worm segments in her stool. The dead giveaway was the triangular head that appeared on a few segments. They were not easy to get rid of but after a few treatments they were erradicated. It was a different pill but not an injection that was used.

Tapeworm eggs can live in the outdoor grass for a long time and do the same in indoor settings. Don't let your pup get reinfected.
Thank you so much for this, I will inquire about a pill. This forum idea is the bees knees!!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
There is just something not right, we send home Drontal Plus on a regular basis with new puppies at work. I know that it takes care of roundworm, hookworm, whipworm and tapes. If you read the panacur box it also takes care of the same parasites. Did they send the stool sample out or did they do it in house? Don't know where you live but $75 for a stool sample is outrageous. We charge $40 and is sent our to the idexx lab. I would be looking for a new vet.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
There is just something not right, we send home Drontal Plus on a regular basis with new puppies at work. I know that it takes care of roundworm, hookworm, whipworm and tapes. If you read the panacur box it also takes care of the same parasites. Did they send the stool sample out or did they do it in house? Don't know where you live but $75 for a stool sample is outrageous. We charge $40 and is sent our to the idexx lab. I would be looking for a new vet.
Panacur C was the first treatment that they tried and it dealt with the hookworms and roundworms fast. but the Tapeworms remained. Drontal Plus was able to get rid of the Tapeworms. The vet explained that sometimes tapeworms needed a stronger medicine (or different).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright guys sorry for the late post, I had to build up the stomach to look at these pictures again. So the vet gave her a shot of praziquantel for the worms and now a few days later she goes from very solid stools to shooting out watery stools every 3 hours, sometimes even more frequently. What is going on!?!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Looks like it's past the time to get a second opinion!
As @agility collie mom said..something is just not right!
Can't tell from the picture, but do you see any worm segments in the stool?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts