Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just adopted a 9 month old GSD. I've been taking her out on our daily walks and she constantly pulls on the leash. I've tried a regular collar with the leash and she pulls so hard, I'm scared she'll damage her throat. I've been using a harness but she also pulls with that. I don't know what to do. She also barks at every dog she sees, how can I get her to stop? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Get a prong collar, and either let it self correct (when she pulls too much the collar will tighten and she'll get back) or once she starts pulling give it a quick tug. Works wonders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a common case for young dogs.
they usually uncomfortable walking with collars and leashes.
but for the long run, They will adopt it and slowly learn not to pull

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
stop if she pulls.

Walking forward reinforces the behavior.

Every step you take that she pulls tells her its ok.

For now you should probably bike or rollerblade with her to drain the energy.

You can train this behavior without prongs/chokes/pain. I can explain if you are interested.

If not a prong will do the job... but it simply manages the behavior.. it is not going to make her want to not pull... but want to not be pinched..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Please do explain, since my dog would pull when there are too many kids around (she wants to go and play with them), and even a prong won't stop her. So any help with that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Please do explain, since my dog would pull when there are too many kids around (she wants to go and play with them), and even a prong won't stop her. So any help with that would be appreciated.

:)

In your case there is som'thing called a "threshold"....if you are close enough to som'thing that the dog is reacting, then the dog is over threshold.

are you familiar with clicker/marker training?

Get as close to the kids as you can under threshold (where there is no reaction yet, this may be really far away, but thats ok)

your going to teach a "watch me" command. Basicallly you stand there and tell the dog to "watch me" and point at your face. If the dog gives you eye contact you click/reward/praise etc....repeat repeat repeat.

After the dog is successfull ten times or so in a row you can move closer to the kid and repeat. If she gets excited/pulls that means you uped the criteria to fast and should go back a step.

YOu can work on duration of the "watch me"... how fast the dog looks at you....watch me/walking different distances.

main thing is to teach criteria induvidually... teach distance and duration for example...separately. Dogs have trouble learning everything at once.

If your timing/rewards are good. You may only need a session or two before your dog ignores the kids (or whatever)

If I wasn't clear on anything...just ask.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, thanks man, that was quite clear, thanks. Just one question though, should I start with only one kid, before I go to the park where there are many kids, or it doesn't matter as long as I keep my distance from them, and have good timing?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Wow, thanks man, that was quite clear, thanks. Just one question though, should I start with only one kid, before I go to the park where there are many kids, or it doesn't matter as long as I keep my distance from them, and have good timing?

yup. Just go slow. Also if you get to close too fast, kids will mob your dog (its happend to me) so be prepared to be rude to kids that run up to you, for the dogs sake :)

Golden rule of dog training...don't ever set the dog up to fail. If your ever very unsure if the dog will do what you ask...don't ask it. Ever see som'one yelling "sitsitsitsitsit" at a dog and it ignores them? Thats because they haven't trained the dog in that specific situation and are asking either too much of the dog OR the dog hasn't generalized the behavior and doesntunderstand that sit mean sit because it was only practiced in a living room som'where.

Dogs don't generalize training well, so don't be upset if the dog makes great progress (in anything) but say you go to another park and you have to start over. Be prepared to start at square one if you have too. This way the dog will never fail but will likely advance very quickly through the exercise.

Once you've practiced in multiple places the dog will understand (generalize) the behavior.

man Im rambling... hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had to teach my three of my dogs to walk on a leash, all of them were older than yours, but what i did was very simple. to start off with you can either hold the leash in both hands or in one, which ever is more comfortable for you, to start out with I had it in two hands, one held the slack and the other was the one that made contact with the dog through the leash. Keep the leash taunt but dont pull this will confuse the dog, this also lets you feel the dog without looking down at her. Start walking and immeadialtly give the command 'heel' or as i say 'stay by me' if she starts to pull stop and turn around making sure the dog stays on the same side you started on. walk back the way you came for a few feet and turn back around and continue on your walk, repeat this, saying the command Heel every time you turn. (this tells the dog that if she pulls she cant go forward, and dogs like horses love to go forward) If you feel her starting pull give a quick jerk make a correction sound and say heel, if she continues turn around and repeat the process again. This should only have to be done a few times before the dog understands what you are asking. Also be aware of how you are walking, head up shoulders down and back, stand as straight as possible, keep the arm that is in contact with the dog as still as possibel until you feel comfortable enough to let her have some slack. Soon you should be able to tell when she is going to pull. As for the barking, watch her for evertime she seems to show interest in something, make a correcting noise, and either touch her or a quick pull on the leash. She should be focusing on you not the other dogs. Hoped that helped and was clear enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
walking your dog should be nothing more than your dog paying attention to you while he's walking. so criosphynx is right you should work on your dogs attention. but theres a faster way to fix your dogs walking problem. use a prong collar, it does work and you wont need it for long. if you have a waist leash that would really help too. but all you need to do is walk exactly where the dog isn't. change direction randomly. and give her a tug with the prong collar if the leash starts to tighten. if you do this it will give your dog no choice but to always focus on you. even without a prong collar this method will work

·
Registered
15 Posts
i got my puggle at 5mths from some friends of mine that couldnt handle her. She had the same walking problem. Pulling like a mother and then on top of that Im being told to tug the leash every time she pulls. It seems a bit useless but I think it just takes time. I was walking my puggle 45min every day and tugging that leash every 5 seconds the whooooooole way lol. And after a while she just plain got sick of me jerking her neck around. Now she walks right next to me, even when I take the leash off. Now its on the the next mutt! As I posted earlier in the "training" forum I have my hands full with the new pup. Time to start aaaaall over again!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really dont reccomend using a prong collar at all, creates other issues, A simple training collar will work just fine, preferably a nylon one.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Everytime my dog pulls whether just to get to a bush, or to greet a dog, i stop and dont even say anything he will turn and come to me and sit where i make him stay until i am ready to continue. he has learned that if he pulls and the collar gets tight he stops pulling. it may take some time and the "walks" in the meantime may not be fascinating but in the long run it will pay off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 10 week old duck toller. He likes to pull very hard on the leash to the point where he is chocking himself. He does this throughout the whole walk. This worries me as I dont want to cause perminant damage to the dogs throat. I give the leash a tug to try and stop this behavior, but he isnt learning very quickly. My question is, should I start walking him with a harness instead?

Tim

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I have a 10 week old duck toller. He likes to pull very hard on the leash to the point where he is chocking himself. He does this throughout the whole walk. This worries me as I dont want to cause perminant damage to the dogs throat. I give the leash a tug to try and stop this behavior, but he isnt learning very quickly. My question is, should I start walking him with a harness instead?

Tim

Only if its a NO PULL harness...the kind that the ring is inthe front. Any traditional harness will make the pulling worse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only if its a NO PULL harness...the kind that the ring is inthe front. Any traditional harness will make the pulling worse.
Do you mean the ring that you attach the leash too? And do traditional harnesses just make the pulling harder to deal with because the dog can use more of its body weight to pull?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Do you mean the ring that you attach the leash too? And do traditional harnesses just make the pulling harder to deal with because the dog can use more of its body weight to pull?
Yes. If the ring is in the front it is uncomfortable for the dog to pull, It also pulls them to the side or completely around. A wonderful, pain free tool that I wish more people would use :)

Think about sled dogs, harnesses are for pulling, or as Ceaser says "adding power" to the dog. Dogs pull or push against oposing forces, its normal (humans do it do) so putting a rear ring attaching harness on a dog is a very primal way of saying "pull me down this street". :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have a dog that really pulls and need some help learning to walk i would recommend using a halter known as the Halti, its worked wonders for one of my dogs and she is a sled dog, we've used harnesses and those work okay but this is great a very little amount of pressure to turn the dogs head therefore stopping him from pulling or any unwanted behavior. but we occasionally use a harness and halti together since both dogs are escape artists and when they get excited or nervous they go in a sense crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts