Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm in the wrong section please excuse.

We have a male German Shepherd puppy for 1 week now. The puppy is 9 weeks old. For the 1st week the puppy was sleeping in our bedroom on his own bed. We now want to move him to another room in the house.

We placed his bed and blanket with his toys and stuff in the new room and closed the door. There is a dim light on in the room. I sat with him until he fell asleep and then left. About 30 minutes later he woke up and started crying, he was scratching the door to get out. He keeps on moaning and crying and scratching the door until one of us comes and opens it. He had his food and water earlier, he did do his no 1 and 2. So its not that he wants to go outside.

I need help, please !

How do I get him to sleep in his new place ?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
A 9 week old puppy will require multiple trips outside. Keep in mind, he is a baby and he has been removed from everything he knows, especially his mother and siblings. He's going to feel pretty lonely being isolated and shut up in a room by himself.
Is there a particular reason you don't want him in your bedroom anymore?

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 9 week old puppy will require multiple trips outside. Keep in mind, he is a baby and he has been removed from everything he knows, especially his mother and siblings. He's going to feel pretty lonely being isolated and shut up in a room by himself.
Is there a particular reason you don't want him in your bedroom anymore?
He does have his multiple trips outside. I even play with him outside to try and get him tired to sleep.

No particular reason apart from the fact that he wants to chew everything in the bedroom. He chews everything like my shoes; our bed; the blankets and even the carpet. He gets a very good brand of food and 3 times a day as per the instructions of the Vet.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
He does have his multiple trips outside. I even play with him outside to try and get him tired to sleep.

No particular reason apart from the fact that he wants to chew everything in the bedroom. He chews everything like my shoes; our bed; the blankets and even the carpet. He gets a very good brand of food and 3 times a day as per the instructions of the Vet.
Have you considered crate training?

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
184 Posts
Puppies that young are very scared and confused to find themselves alone. When Finnegan was 8-9 weeks old, I'd sleep next to his crate all night. At 9-10 weeks, I'd lay there until he fell asleep, then leave and go to my own bed--I'd set an alarm for his midnight bathroom break and do the same again. I also started draping a blanket over the crate. By 10-11 weeks he was fine going to bed by himself.

It takes time. I'm still a new puppy owner and finding you have to do everything a lot slower than you think :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you considered crate training?
Puppies that young are very scared and confused to find themselves alone. When Finnegan was 8-9 weeks old, I'd sleep next to his crate all night. At 9-10 weeks, I'd lay there until he fell asleep, then leave and go to my own bed--I'd set an alarm for his midnight bathroom break and do the same again. I also started draping a blanket over the crate. By 10-11 weeks he was fine going to bed by himself.

It takes time. I'm still a new puppy owner and finding you have to do everything a lot slower than you think :)
I will have to try crate training. I had dogs before but none was so difficult as this one. Thank you

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I had dogs before but none was so difficult as this one. Thank you
As a GSD owner ( numerous times ), I can appreciate your words above but hopefully you knew this came with the breed and it is a passing phase but your patience will be tested. I'm guessing your next test will be the biting and nipping phase which is soon to come most likely.

I "puppy-proofed" my bedroom and kept the pup(s) in the bedroom with me. GSDs similar to other breeds, like to be with their human even though they can tend to be aloof with strangers at times.

I might try and introduce/train your pup to acceptable chew items as this will benefit not just your shoes, carpet and other items but also your limbs and hands:D.

I have never used crates but it certainly seems to be a viable option for many. The way I see it, you have a few options: Continue leaving the pup in the other room and accept the fact the pup will continue his moaning, crying and scratching at the door for X amount of time but if you go and open the door and let him out, you will just prolong this situation as you are conditioning the pup on how to get its way OR take the tough love route and just let the pup figure out he will not get his way by you not coming to the door and opening it when he moans. This will test your patience and make for some nights with little sleep for you. Another option, which I took was as mentioned above, I chose to let the pup stay in my "puppy-proofed" bedroom with the door closed. I believe it created the proper bond as well as calmed the pup during a major change in its new life. It does take patience but you will be repaid many times over.

FWIW, once your pup gets older and can be trusted in the house, you might find what I experienced with all the GSDs I have had and that is, the places they choose to sleep might become more numerous, generally 3 in my experience. Once they have access to the entire house and they learn where people come and go, especially guests via the front door, they have all taken a location between the bedroom and the front door ( if not right next to the front door ) after spending some time in the bedroom initially. I believe this is just their natural guarding instincts kicking in as nothing will come in the front door without their notice. They also have taken positions based on the time of year as some places in the house are cooler than others and might spend some of their sleeping time in that area.

Yes, it can be tough in the beginning but with a GSD and many other breeds I am sure, don't let the pup dictate the rules in the beginning or at any other time for that matter. Doing so, will just create more problems down the road.

In a nutshell, especially with larger breed dogs, it's easier for some to tolerate certain unacceptable behaviors when they are small and "cute" but your "cute" little GSD is going to become a 60-100 lb plus dog in short order, so keep that in mind.

Your pup is so young right now and that certainly has to be taken as a priority and consideration. Work on building the bond in a positive and fun manner at this stage with a dash of direction on your behalf as the pup learns what your intentions and expectations are as the days progress. GSDs are smart and will pick up on the daily routine you expose them to in a relatively quick time frame. You are setting precedent by what you do and the pup will become conditioned to this, so think long term and that of course requires patience and consistency.

Have fun with your pup, your little dude will grow out of his physical puppy stage before you know it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everybody for the advise so far, I really appreciate.

This is a picture of him

This is a picture of his father. (Fathers name : Baron Vom Bierstadter Hof)

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Dam is Tonique Del Zualanwer.
Couldn't find a pedigree chart on Tonique but did view the Del Zualanwer web site and it looks as if all their bitches are WGSLs as well. I found the dam and sire of Tonique and they both have some pretty strong blood in their pedigree. Tonique has some Ursus von Batu blood in her lineage.

You should have a beautiful looking dog as he matures and most likely a fairly spirited dog with wonderful potential.

Once these dogs come on line with all your training, leadership and patience, you will have a dog that will be amazing and a lifelong companion that will blow you away with his loyalty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn't find a pedigree chart on Tonique but did view the Del Zualanwer web site and it looks as if all their bitches are WGSLs as well. I found the dam and sire of Tonique and they both have some pretty strong blood in their pedigree. Tonique has some Ursus von Batu blood in her lineage.

You should have a beautiful looking dog as he matures and most likely a fairly spirited dog with wonderful potential.

Once these dogs come on line with all your training, leadership and patience, you will have a dog that will be amazing and a lifelong companion that will blow you away with his loyalty.
Thank you for the kind words. Yes I'm sure he's going to be a great dog. We must just get passed the puppy stage.

We received the pedigree charts of the sire and dam when we fetched him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts